Chapter 20: Rushing in Slo-Mo

Start from the beginning

It was cold and calculating and not me at all. I didn't feel anything until one got near Chris, to try take him out. He'd already ripped at the neck of one who somehow got close to me, they knew what we were playing at. Before Chris could react I reloaded and shot the wolf through the nose.

Turn left, Chris's wolf ran at another one who was coming closer, and I turned left, immediately firing. It was too close and too human looking. The man was big, and had that devil's sense about him, but his face was hardly scarred. I nearly thought too much about how many I'd killed before him, but I swallowed and shot at the next one, not letting myself fall apart just yet.

I'm going to run out. I've got one round left, I shot one who came to close to Alpha Baldwin, the kind old man from the meeting.

Get closer to me and just keep firing, he was out of breath, having finally taken out the young wolf. I ran behind him.

The chaos was all over now. The McClellans were mixed in with all units, girls were flinging themselves from trees and catching the monsters off guard, and the witches' spells were going off on random McClellans. I saw my father run past me and stick a knife in a huge man's gut. The thought of my bullets ending up in random wolves' heads was starting to creep up again. Thankfully, if this is strange, Chris and I were put in the middle of the action.

Whoever came to close got shot until I ran out. Then Chris, this will sound ridiculous but honest-to-God it was real, took the empty thing and hurled it at the Delta McClellan's head, which somehow resulted in the gun lodging itself in the Delta's brain and knocking him out. It was thrilling and frightening. I'd never seen my mate so focused, so lethal.

We were left with my knife and whatever energy we could muster. This fight was about to turn much more personal for me.

We gave each other a last glance and Chris turned back human. It was that movie moment: when the rest of the world is frozen and the two lovers give each other their final glance, without needing words, except the part where I tossed him some shorts from my back pocket because it was not the time to see his junk. Our people were viciously attacking the McClellans, who held nothing back in return, but in one moment we only saw each other.

No matter what, I love you, I reached for his hand. He squeezed hard, then quickly let go, not needing any more words for me. He'd told me a thousand times that day, not to mention the times in months before.

Before I knew it we were racing towards different men, and I was alone in killing mine with my hands and a small knife. And then, as if someone hit the fast forward button, I was yanking my knife out of him and throwing it at the neck of one going after Chris. It went like this for me, for however long the fight lasted. Throwing the knife, scratching, biting, and ignoring the sizzles and screams that came from the man under the knife, then pulling it out in the most harmful way possible and starting again.

I saw my friends and family do the same, and even saw some of them get killed, but my whole focus was on being with Chris and saving him, even if it killed me. This moment of watching distracted me just a second too long; someone cast a blinding blow to the back of my head, knocking me out for some time.

Mickey's POV

I couldn't sit around and wait for them to come back with Deb, and I really couldn't do that without trying to get her myself. I had a plan.

The nurses were mostly busy, since most of them were from my pack, and were getting ready for our fallen fighters. My doctor was chosen to lead the Healers, leaving a small nurse in charge of my room. She left for lunch, figuring me and my elderly roommate wouldn't move. By dumb luck my wheelchair was left by my bed. I was able to roll out, mostly without hurting myself any more and start my journey to McClellan land. Nobody noticed me, or probably cared to notice me wheeling myself through the city in only a hospital dress. Nobody stopped me.

I knew the fight would drag out too long, there were too many people to kill, and I also knew that the McClellans would be dumb enough to leave their place mostly unattended

It took me over two hours at my continuous fast riding speed, but I made into their place. It was like any other town, or set of towns, I just needed to think where they would hide my mate.

I smirked when I accidentally heard her thoughts. Debbie and I were already connected on a mating-level, which gave us the advantage. Complete mates, especially ones who had sex as often as we did, could virtually speak to each other any time, so long as we were close in range.

I'm here, baby, I stopped near a grocery store.

Mickey?! Shit! How did you get here? She sounded so excited, I had to smile to myself like an idiot.

That doesn't matter yet, just tell me where you are, I started wheeling again, before I could realize how tired my arms were.

I don't know, gimme me a minute. This was torture. If I had to find my mate by checking every corner of every home I would, but I didn't have that much time. I was glad when she responded, Some other girl told me we're in the basement of the Delta's house. She's smart, Mick, and saw the street sign. We're on Carrington, somewhere by a gas station.

That was all I needed to know. I passed one just twenty minutes before and already knew exactly which house that was.

Get ready, I'm coming. I wheeled faster than before, not caring about stoplights or other pedestrians, God had given me this hour to save her, I wouldn't waste a moment of it. I was there in ten minutes, before I had to stop. I saw the basement doors but the terrain was rocky and who knew who the guards were? I took a deep breath.

Debbie, I'm right outside, but I'm gonna need your help. How many guards you got down there?

None, my brain lit up. The one we had said he'd be back in an hour, and that must have been half an hour ago, I don't know. Just hurry up.

I carefully treaded over the hard dirt and rocks and with all my strength, I yanked off one of the basement doors.

"Mickey?!" I heard her call. I smiled even wider.

"I'm here! Can you get out?!" I shouted down, praying to Jesus that she could. I heard so clanking, then a loud bang and finally small steps running up. There she was. Her brown curls were wild and she looked skinny, except around her middle. There was a small bump there.

My eyes widened in surprise.

"It's yours," she smiled. "Let's go before someone comes back."

She turned to the basement, "I'm sorry! But I'll be back for you! I'll bring the armada for you!"

A chorus of "Run!" and "Be safe!" were shouted from what sounded like all women. Who knew what happened down there, all I cared about was getting Debbie back to the safety of our pack, where she belonged.

She took the handles of my chair and ran us farther and I expected a pregnant woman to run--all the way to the edge of McClellan territory and ours. It almost felt like old times, when we had to run the border together, but not exactly.

"We're almost there," She huffed, starting again. Just as we crossed something pushed us over. I looked up. She looked up in horror, "No."

I could feel the wave of terror come off my mate, which fueled the rage growing inside of me. Injury or not, this fucker was getting killed for whatever he did to her. I pulled myself up and ignored the ache in my leg and ribs. For Debbie. For our unborn baby.

He had to be the ugliest McClellan of them all, with a sinister grin to complete his look. I pushed myself at him, making sure to change. The wolf in me was stronger, wounded and all.

Run Debbie! Get help!

I'm not leaving you!

Damn it Deborah! Run NOW! I used my Alpha voice, which made her angry, but follow orders all the same. This guy didn't care about her, he just wanted bloodshed. Instantly he turned wolf, too, and fought back.

A/N: Only one chapter and an epilogue left. yes, there was an Author's Note here, but I deleted it. There won't be a sequel, unless I change my mind, but I think you guys will be happy with what I leave you with :). So who lived and who's hurt?