Chapter 4: I'm the Lapdog

Maybe the universe thought it was funny, but for some reason my shifts at work wered doubled, to go along with everything else I had on my plate. I had the sneaking suspiscion Debbie was the reason behind it, but I didn't accuse her; if it was I knew she was doing it because she cared, I mean her shifts were doubled as well, so we could still work together.

Along with that, I was helping prepare a rushed wedding. We had money to put an elaborate party together, it just sucked having to do it within a few week's time, compared to having half a year or so. Dad wanted to secure our spot, while the Coppola's wanted to do it before something crazy happened and Hannah was left with nothing. That was the suckish part of being a female werewolf. We were always second to males, even the younger ones, despite all the work we did. I hated it. No matter what, I could never become an Alpha, even if I married one and he died-the position would go to his first son or his Beta. Females are only around to breed in my world. Breed and cook. Mom said we were more important than that but I never saw any females make important life decisions for her family or tell a man what to do without being questioned. Even the single mothers eventually had to find someone new to help her raise her family. Luckily our men are stubborn to die, so we hardly get the chance to wallow as single ladies.

Anyways, I was having a busy life, no time to even send a message to Zack about seeing him. I had to admit, part of it was freeing, despite the restraints. If that made sense. I could be a wolf half my days, except I had to be careful with my thoughts around people. Letting your wolf free is a great experience. You can't stay too long, or else you could lose some human insight, but the moments you let go feel like your stretching your whole body out in the fresh, open air. Plus my coat kept me warm against the fall winds.

Debbie was happy to hear about Tony and Hannah's wedding. She thought they deserved each other, being mates and all, but I thought Hannah deserved better. Sure, Tony's my brother, but he's a pain in the neck. Debbie said they made each other happy, so Hannah probably did something to deserve the idiot.

"I mean, look at her rank compared to his," Debbie shrugged at work. It was nearing the end of our added shift and both of us were getting ready to make our first run for the Alpha family together with our friend, and future Alpha, Michael "Mickey" Rossini.

"True, but I thought it was just in the blood. Or her wolf matches his or something stupid like that," I said, throwing my apron on the emptied counter. It was already dark, I could hear the winds outside, and all the other workers were gone. Not only did I have to open, I had to close as well. Fantastic.

"I think it's Fate," Debbie tried to sound mysterious. "She must have changed hers, because we all swore she'd mate with Joe Castana, they had close families."

"They were just trying to work with myths," I replied, leaning back on the counter. Mickey was taking forever to reach the diner. "You know, if the kids grow close, they'd naturally mate. That never works."

"Worked with your parents," Debbie said, raising an eyebrow.

"Knowing my dad, he probably forced it," I said. "Using his Jedi strategic planning."

We both laughed and sighed, a common effect of best friends. Finally, Mickey got to the diner. His old black Chevy put putted until he parked it next to ours around back. Debbie and I waited for him to join us instead of meeting him.

"Ladies," Mickey entered through the swinging kitchen door and smiled wide. "How ya been without Mickey?"

"Shut up, Mick," Debbie said patting his shoulder. She wouldn't meet his eyes but I felt something happen in the diner. Like something was pushing me out of the loop for a quick second and then both looked at me and quit looking around each other. Something was up. Something that I wasn't allowed to ask about yet. "Ready to run?"