Chapter Twenty Five.

Start from the beginning

"I don't think Lexton will agree anymore." Calvin said hushed, his face pulled together like he was deep in thought, trying to weasel out a solution from an impossible problem.

"And I don't see the council agreeing either." Octavia added.

"I know." I sighed. "That's just option A." I said. "The one I wish for the most."

Calvin looked over at me. "And option B?"

I fought the urge to bite at my fingernails, and I closed my eyes for a second, picturing my little angel. "Option B," I sighed, then turned to Logan. "You take care of Rose."

"Rachel." Logan and Calvin said in unison.

"Just hear me out." I told them both, trying to keep from crying. "If the mission is a success, and no threat is looking for her anymore, I don't want to put her through this life. All the pressure, and the danger, and the politics. There will always be people out to harm her as long as they know she's alive, and this place is not somewhere a little girl should be raised." I said quickly before I took it all back. "If they succeed, and she has a chance at being safe and happy, then I want you to take her, Logan. Raise our little girl, keep her safe. When things have died down here some, I will visit whenever I can, as often as I can."

"Rachel, you can't mean that." Logan said, his own eyes full of tears.

"I do." I told him. "She loves you, and I know that you would take the best care of her. She'd have a full life, normal, and perfect with you." My voice cracked a little and I turned away from him to look up at Calvin who was standing frozen, his face hard and his eyes glassy. "Then there is option C." I told him.

He looked down at me, pain in his eyes. "Option C?"

I nodded my head. "Option C, if the mission fails, then there is too much danger out for her, and not enough time to fix that, so she will come here." I said hollowly. "After a few weeks of course." I added. "We would need to give everyone time to come around to the idea of her, and to let the backlash from me hiding her to die down before we bring her, but even when she is here, I want to live in the cabin." I told Calvin. "Our little honey moon cabin in the woods. I will keep her there so that she at least will feel semi normal, and also safe during the daylight hours."

Calvin nodded his head sadly. "You've got it all figured out I guess." He sighed.

"I don't." I told him. "But with the announcement about Lexton, I realized that we can't just play pretend forever and believe that everything is just going to work out because we want it to." I explained. "Option A is the one I want, but we have to be ready to deal with B or C too." I looked at everyone and the seriousness was heavy on us all. "No matter what, our lives are about to majorly change."

Patrick stared blankly forward until his phone buzzed. He pulled it out of his pocket slowly then placed it back. "I have to get back to the kitchen." He said sadly, coming over to rest his hand on my shoulder for a moment. "I pray for option A for you." He told me, then walked to the door.

"Patrick, wait." Calvin called him, then rushed over to meet him at the door. "What was served for dinner tonight?" He asked him. I thought it was strange that at a time like this he wanted to know about food.

"Steak and potatoes, lamb and greens, and a twist on fish and chips." He said, obviously equally as puzzled by the question.

"I see." Calvin nodded. "Who was on the line to prepare the fish?"

Patrick furrowed his brows. "My kitchen team two."

"Two?" He repeated and Patrick nodded.

"Thank you." Calvin said courtly. "I will call you if anything changes."