"Not really, when you weren't around, they picked on me all the time," I said, recounting all the mean things those insensitive jerks did to me.

"They did? Why didn't you tell me? I would have kick their asses!" he shouted.

"That's exactly why I didn't tell you." I sighed. "I knew you were going to make a big deal out of it, and you would've just gotten yourself in trouble."

"It is a big deal! You're my little sister, I have to protect you."

I scoffed. "John, you're only two and a half years older than me. You don't have to protect me anymore."

He rolled his eyes. "Yes, I do. You're still my little sister," he said, obviously not listening.

"So if Lily was being picked on, you would kick those little kids' butts too?" I asked, as I tried to get his attention away from me.

"Of course!"

"John, they're like three." I laughed.

"That's an exaggeration, they're eight." He crossed his arms. "And besides, Lily is home schooled, and she can take care of herself. You on the other hand? You can't. Now stop trying to change the subject."

"And why can't I?" I asked, huffing.

"Well, for one, you're a pushover. And two, you're too nice, even when you shouldn't be. Lily on the other hand isn't afraid of standing up for herself, but then again she's never been bullied."

"Yeah, well . . . that's because she's pretty," I muttered.

I watched as he rolled his eyes and scooted closer. "You're pretty too," he said, and brushed the loose hair from my face.

"No, I'm not. Stop saying that," I said, and turned away from him.

"But you are."

I whipped around. "Then how come everyone who isn't my family, finds me to be nothing more than a fat, ugly cow?"

"Because they're too stupid to realize how great of a girl you are, and if they can't see that, you don't need them in your life anyway."

"Yeah well, I've decided to go on a diet anyway, so no more crude nicknames."

His eyebrows furrowed. "You are?"

"Yes, didn't Mom tell you? I thought she told you everything?"

"Apparently she didn't," he grumbled.

"Well, I am. And I'm dropping out of school as well."

"What? Why do you need to do that?"

"Because I'm going to lose weight," I emphasized. "I need to focus without worrying about everyone else."

"You're serious about this then?" he asked, with one raised eyebrow.

"Yeah. I want to change for the better."

He took a deep breath. "Alright," he said, while my eyes widened. "If that's what you want, I'll help."

"How? You can't stay. You have school."

He shifted away from me as he turned his head. "I was going to come home for a bit anyway."

My eyes narrowed as I watched him. What was he hiding? "No really, why are you here?"

He sighed. "Look, I'm here for you, okay? The timing is already perfect, so don't worry about me."

"Will our parents let you, you know, just stay home?" I asked.

"Of course they will. I'm the perfect son remember? Plus, it's not like I'm dropping out of college, I'm just taking a break this semester," he said, smiling. "I'll catch up next semester, and take extra classes in the summer."

"What about your school?" Surely they would realize he was missing.

"What about them? I'm their star athlete, I have straight A's, and I've only missed a few classes. Besides, Mom and Dad's bank account has its benefits too." He winked, as I laughed.

"Right, cheat your way out of college by paying your professors off."

He laughed. "That's not what I'm doing at all." I frowned, when I didn't see the crinkle in his eyes. Something major was bothering him, and it wasn't sitting well with me. But, I decided not to push it, not wanting to mess up this atmosphere.

"Well, either way, thanks for being here." With my brother here, things would be a bit easier.

"No problem, sis. When do you plan on developing this healthier lifestyle of yours?"

"Soon."

He nodded. "Just tell me when and I'll be there."

"Thanks, John." I smiled, while he gave me a wide grin. "I'll see you later."

When I left my brother's room, I made my way towards the stairs. As I reached my door, I saw the door to the bathroom closed. Hearing the shower running and Amanda's voice singing, I quietly tiptoed inside my room. The mirror that hung on my wall shone back at me.

I glanced at my body a few times, and frowned at the way I looked. The magic that Amanda placed on me was completely wiped away. In its place was a total disaster. My face was a blotchy mess, with makeup running down my cheeks. The once perfect dress only made my hips wider, and my stomach bigger. It looked totally unflattering on me now.

No wonder why people tease you so much. Just look at you.

I sighed. The voice in my head never ceased to taunt and antagonize me over everything I did. There was no getting away from it. The voice was always there, always pulling me down under into a never ending stream of self-pity. It was always whispering what an utter and complete failure I was.

Did you really think you stood a chance with Jason, looking like that? Honey, it's going to take much more to get his attention. Thomas was right, you are pathetic.

I couldn't take it anymore, I couldn't get away from it. If I wasn't safe inside of my own head, how could I ever find happiness? I decided that it was time to stop listening to that sadistic voice upstairs once and for all. I couldn't let it control me like it always did in the past.

I was going to change, and today would be the last day that anyone called me Isacow.