Beca Riya Samuels

Beca Samuels is a seventeen-year-old girl with a dark ebony like complexion, shoulder length natural curly hair, and eyes the colour of smooth mahogany wood. Due to her dark complexion, Beca has been the subject of many in class jokes and has often fell victim to several hurtful comments and insults about her skin tone. This all contributed to her extreme and heightened self-consciousness and numerous insecurities. Because of this, she became more reserved and introverted and found herself pushing away persons who tried to get close to her in hopes of avoiding them hurting her and the pain that would follow.

Beca was raised in a generally loving household and lives with her father, Jacob, and her two younger siblings Rachel and Reneel. Three weeks after Beca's fifteenth birthday, Rebecca, mother, was involved in a fatal accident at workplace. She worked at one of the local banks and was severely injured when there was an organized gang robbery. Beca trying to be brave and not wanting to burden anyone with seeing her grieving kept all her emotions hidden and never dealt with her pain.

Like was previously mentioned, Beca struggled with her insecurities, and it did not help that she was teased and bullied almost everyday at school for it. This had started when she was around nine years old and had continued up to this day and because of this Jacob, her father thought it best to transfer her to another school in hopes that it would help alleviate the stress and depression his daughter had been experiencing.