He grabbed my arm and started to pull me down the street, my eyes turned back to the alleyway and I could see two pairs of feet poking out behind the dumpster.

My feet were working hard to keep up with him, my shoulder blade still burning in pain.

"Why are we hurrying? Can't we slow down a little? My shoulder hurts," I tried.

"So does mine," he shot back.

As he stretched out his free arm to hail a taxi, I could see the smallest of wince move across his face. It hadn't just hurt me this time. But him too... I clenched my hands into fists, looking out of the window, trying to rack my brain for any kind of explanation to this.

The taxi pulled up on the side of the street. Taylor pushed a few notes into the hand of the driver and practically shoved me out of the door.

"Alright, take it easy. I was getting out," I muttered under my breath.

"You don't understand," he cut off shortly, grabbing me by the arm again and pulling me towards a small side street.

"What is it I don't understand?"

"The king is dead," he shot again.

We walked down the side street, I could tell by the way his eyes were darting around the place that he was looking for something. Where were we anyway?

"So why are you in such a panic? We've been attacked before."

"Yes, but before there hasn't been a very real possibility of Charlet's men to link you to me."

He walked over to the brick wall, stroking his hand against it as if he was looking for something.

"Where are we anyway?"

"West London," he confirmed. His hands found the right brick in the wall and with a small clicking sound a solid door appeared. Whatever this was I could tell it was not part of the magic network, it didn't have the same kind of glow to it.

"Where are we going?"

"I'm taking you to safety." He tugged at my arm and we headed into the darkness.

We walked in the narrow, pitch-black corridor for a couple of minutes in silence. Lucas seemed to know exactly where he was taking me and I all I could do was try to keep enough focus on my feet to follow him. I felt like a thousand thoughts where storming around in my mind.

"How do you know the king died?" I whispered.

"Charlet would never dare to go for such an open killing otherwise," he confirmed as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"So what does this mean?" The question that had been tugging at me, bubbled up to the surface.

"It means we have to keep you safe until this blows over."

I was just about to argue back when I could see a gentle light close to the floor, like a crack under a door letting a little bit of daylight seep into the tunnel.

Lucas turned to face me, his whole being was telling me that whatever was on the other side of that door would be dangerous.

"When I open this door, I need you to run."

"But..."

"Listen to me," for a second he almost sounded like he cared, "there is a large white townhouse across the street. You need to reach the steps at the entrance. Once you are on the steps, you'll be protected by their magic."

I suddenly felt lightheaded, "What do you mean? What's between here and that house?"

Lucas grabbed my hands, holding them in his. "It's just a normal London street, but I don't know if one of the other royal families are out there. Since the king as died, it'll be a free for all killing spree until the matches are initiated."