Just My Cat and I Tonight - Revived

Start from the beginning

“Yeah, it seems to float away from your memory,”

Matthew gave a tiny smile and dismissed me. I walked back down the corridor to my desk.

I grabbed my handbag and noticed that Jasper was sitting at his desk sorting files.

“Hey, all finished for the day?” I asked.

“Almost, I was just wondering whether you would print off another copy of your article for the files?” he asked.

“I thought Jasmine handled that kind of stuff?” I replied with a mix of curiosity and suspicion.

“Yeah, but she was feeling a bit tired so I let her go get a coffee while I did this,”

“Are you meeting her after you finish this?” I asked, because the only reason I could think that Jasper would be helpful to anyone would be to gain something out of it.

“Maybe, oh and by the way you just missed Conner” he smiled.

“Thanks I’ll probably see him later, have fun with Jasmine,” I replied awkwardly.

“Yeah, see you later,”

As I was walking to the tube station I couldn’t help think that there was something strange about Jasper. Not so much that he had a date with Jasmine, but why was he doing her filing? I pondered this question all the way home but I couldn’t find a suitable answer.

The tube was cramped due to peak hour and I spent the entire trip with my face shoved into someone’s shoulder.

Finally I was released from the side of the shoulder and headed towards my building. As I was dodging the crowds to cross the roads I spotted Leila heading into the hotel.

I found a hole and squeezed through. I managed to catch the lift Leila was on.

She smiled as she saw my jogging towards the lift.

“Hey, have you been to the office,” she asked once she saw I had caught my breath.

“Yeah I was just there handing in my article,”

“How exhausted did Matthew look? I hardly could believe it was him when I walked into his office,”

“I know, I have never seen him like that before,”

“Anyway enough about Matthew, how is Conner going?”

By now we had made it up to our floor and were standing in the hallway.

“Not much I saw him yesterday, we met for a quick coffee but that’s about it,”

“Nothing planned for tonight,”

“No he was busy doing work,”

“Well we are all are going out tonight for a celebration, do you want to come?”

“No thanks, I’m exhausted. I think I’ll just have an early night,” I said, feeling the full toll of the week.

“Are you are alright?”

“Yeah I’m fine,”

“Okay have a good night,”

“You too,”

I opened my door and stood in the doorway. I closed the door and flopped on my bed. I knew I wasn’t tired and could probably do with a night out, but nothing could force me my non responsive body off my bed.

I sat there, trying to decode why I felt lying on my bed and never moving again. But deep down I knew why. I was angry with myself for letting Conner make me feel this way.