I Suppose That we are OK Now

Getting ready for bed was even worse. Aqua and Safire kept whispering to each other and wouldn’t look at either of us in the eye. Aaron and I ran into each other in the hallway. He patted me on the shoulder and said that he didn’t think it was my fault.

            Then as I took my turn for the bathroom, Galena walked in as well. Before I could leave, Safire or Aqua shut the door to exit and locked it. It was probably some idea to make us better or something.

            The first few minute were absolutely horrible. I wouldn’t look in Galena’s direction and she wouldn’t in mine.

            Finally I said the words I knew that she was hoping to hear. “I’m sorry, Galena.”

            My sister turned around to look at me and smiled, forgivingly. “I’m also sorry. I shouldn’t have called you any names.”

            I looked at my feet, standing on the bath room rug. “No, it was all my fault. I’m repulsive and stupid and awful.”

            Galena nudged my shoulder, playfully. “Aw, don’t say that.” There was silence for a few moments until she sighed. “I have to tell you something, Ericka.”

            I sat on the floor, one of the worst things a princess could do. I figured Galena would probably yell but she sat down as well. “What is it?”

            She took a deep breath and somehow I knew whatever she would say wasn’t going to be pleasant. “You were always the best at everything- all the boys liked you and Father loved you best. You were so pretty and tall, and all the citizens adored you. I was so jealous so I went to confront Father. He let slip that you had a bad condition and I got the information out of him.”

            “Condition?” I questioned trying to rack my brain for answers. “I don’t have a condition.”

            Galena nodded like she understood. “Father never mentioned it to you and made me promise I would never tell. You were born with a disorder. It made you repulsive and emotional. It also made you really powerful and awkwardly tall. All great heroes have flaws.”

            I tried to look sad but I couldn’t. Somehow I wasn’t sad or mad that I had a disorder. This was why I was always so rash. “What’s your flaw?”

            She knit her lips together. “Pride. It’s pride.”

            I could not disagree. Growing up, Galena was the one who was always bragging.

            Galena went on. “So now I am always upset that I can’t do some stuff better than you and you have a disorder.”

            “So what?” I asked. “Just because I have a disorder doesn’t mean you have to think less of me.”

            She smiled. “I know that now but wouldn’t you be envious if your little sister got everything because of her disorder?”

            “Everything? I’m not powerful just because of the condition.”

            “And obviously Aaron likes you,” she started looking at me with the most mischievous eyes.

            I gave her a disgusted look. “He doesn’t and that’s gross.”

            She grinned. “I see the way he looks at you. And where he does.” She burst out laughing like a lunatic.

            I blushed. “Stop it. He even asked me to the ball.”

            Galena stopped laughing. “Really, Aqua and Safire are going to upset.”

            “And you aren’t?” I asked. Last I checked, Galena was addicted to Aaron.

            Galena shook her head. “I like Rupert Tell better. Did you agree?”

            “I said that we might not have made it home in time.”

            “And you like him?” She looked like one of those girls in the town squares, gossiping.

            I shrugged. “Not really.”

            Galena grinned, evilly. She got up and stretched her legs. “Let’s see if Aqua or Safire will let us out now.”

            I nodded, smiling from ear to ear. For the first time in the quest, I felt happy and unable to be put down.