15| Dizzy

F I F T E E N
Lawfully Dysfunctional

I wasn't sure, but I had a feeling that Mr. Vanderbilt would choose anyone over me. So while I was about to start walking towards Garrett's team, I stopped suddenly since I heard my name spill from his lips.

'Freya, you're in my team.' I hopped over to the other side happily, glad to be away from the wandering eyes of Louis.

Mr. Vanderbilt was on the receiving end of a bright smile from me, he looked at me briefly before turning to the rest.

'Everyone over here knows how to play beach volleyball I'm assuming?' He asked and I wondered when it would be a good time to tell him frankly that I sucked at that game. Garrett came over to clarify all the rules and I slinked away to the foremost corner which was already covered by a lot of people so that I didn't have to bear the brutal impact of the ball hitting me.

The first ball thrown by Garrett came fast, and unfortunately it came spiralling towards me. I placed my hand in the proper position and raised my arms higher in an attempt to redirect the ball away from me and luck was on my side because I fluked a perfect shot.

I'm sure that I sported a smug expression on my face. A pained groan was heard from right in front of me, and I realised that on the expense of my accidental moment of victory I took one of our best players down. Mr. Vanderbilt was on the floor, not writhing, but slightly curled up.

Everyone rushed towards him, he looked up with a faint grin.

'It's okay guys, I'm still alive.' He joked.

'I'm so sorry!' I exclaimed.

'Why are you so adamant on injuring me?' He asked, trying to sit up. One of the boys went and got an ice pack from the cooler that had beers kept in it.

'People tend to get injured.' Ice boy had explained when he saw my raised eyebrows.

'I don't do it on purpose?' I bit my lower lip tentatively. He stood up staggering and I went and stood beside him with my hands held put incase he fell.

'I'm fine.' He assured us.

'And we're careful.' I smiled. His lip quirked up briefly, shaking his head. I thought for a moment and then bravely put my hands around his back. Surprisingly he didn't complain and instead leaned a little over me.

'I'll take him till the shade and stay with him, you guys can continue to play.' I said. 'It is after all my fault.' I gave Mr. Vanderbilt an apologetic smile.

'Are you sure? I don't want to come back to Dimitri being assaulted since he's not capable of defending himself.' Marc laughed.

'It's just a small hit.' He brushed it off.

'A really hard one.' Louis commented, eyeing my arm around Mr. Vanderbilt.

'Did you just accuse me of taking advantage of a hurt person?' I asked Marc, remembering his words.

'You realised that super early Frey.' Marc winked.

Mr. Vanderbilt and I walked back to the shady area, not really talking. The silence was uncomfortable for someone who had a habit of chattering a lot, so I looked at him curiously.

'Does it hurt?' I asked him. The ball hit his chest with a large force, but it was the tumble he took on the sand which I was worried about since his leg fell in a wrong position.

'Not really.' He flexed his right leg, flinching a little.

'Not really my arse.' He sat down on the towel placed.

'So you play quite well.' He initiated the conversation and I felt my eyes widen in disbelief. Unless this was for some form of revenge to distract me, I couldn't find a reason that he would voluntarily praise me.

'Thank you. I will tell you a secret though, I can't play volleyball to save myself.' I confessed.

'But you literally injured me with the force you applied. You're not kidding are you?' He asked.

'Basketball is the only sport I'm really good at and I dabble a little in tennis and other racket sports, thats it.'

'Impressive.' I thanked him again. He plugged in his earphones into his ears awkwardly when he noticed that it was the end of our few minutes of peace that we had with each other. I too closed my eyes for a few minutes but didn't realise when I dozed off to sleep.

'They look so cute together.'

'I shipped them from day one.'

'Can I kick them closer to each other?'

'Can I kick him away from her?' I heard whispers around me, the last one sounded a lot like Louis and I almost spluttered a laugh when I heard a slap on his head.

'Freya? Dimitri?' I yawned and rolled over, feeling Mr. Vanderbilt's warm form almost touching the entire left side of my body. I jumped upright and felt a little giddy due to the sudden rush of blood into my head. Mr. Vanderbilt also woke up rather groggily for a man always so poised and perfect, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

He saw everyone standing around him and proceeded to do so himself.

'Why are you guys here?' He asked, removing the crink from his neck.

'We are done, and were planning to start heading back home.' Delilah piped in. Marc was giving his college friend weird looks which made me personally feel sorry for him, if that's the face with which he got his girls, they must either be desperate or saints.

'Sure, I'll just get the keys.' He felt around his pocket but was unable to find them. We all rushed to the car to see whether or not it was stolen and were relived to find put that it was still in the same spot, but the keys were also visible, locked inside the car.

Since we couldn't go home till that car was unlocked, we asked Garrett and people to drop us to the lake house in their jeep if possible, to which they agreed.

I was squashed between Mr. Vanderbilt and Louis, who was like a persistent fly that liked to buzz in your ear. I almost ran out of the car and into the house.

I was going to have to miss a day of work, so I had to call in sick again, telling them that I didn't feel okay. It all felt a little rushed but I didn't say much because in the end it was an extended vacation by one day.

_________*_________

A/N: Dimitri and Freya, what would be a suitable ship name for them? All I can come up with is super uncreative, lame ones, can you think of any?

Another chapter and that makes it a grand total of fifteen! I'm so proud of myself for actually continuing to write, cause honestly, this book has been stranded too many times before. XD

#256 in Romance :)