2| First Impressions

T W O
Lawfully Dysfuntional

I looked around the room and at the grandeur of everything present. The room was well decorated, the chandelier was magnificent and the people impeccably dressed.

My original plan of turning up at the venue with Delilah was discarded after I ran a little late since my cousins and my aunt decided to turn up at our house without any former notice. I couldn't leave immediately since it would be rather rude and I was forced to hear them crib about the increase in the price of bare necessities. 'Simple bare necessities.' I hummed the song from The Jungle Book in my mind.

A tap on my shoulder made me spin on my heels.

'Deli!' I exclaimed, happy to finally see a familiar and friendly face. 'You look gorgeous.' I complimented her on her attire for the evening which was quite like my own gown, the only difference was that hers was a pale blue while mine was an emerald green.

'So do you Ray.' She smiled. Her dark brown hair sat on the top of her head in a well made bun, which made me pat my hair to check whether any of my strands were misbehaving.

Two hours later, I was still standing in the same spot and bored out of my mind, I wanted to leave but Delilah wouldn't let me hear the end of it for the next few years if I left her alone. She had gone somewhere and in her absence I drank three glasses of red wine that was being served like water. The amount of alcohol being supplied wasn't a surprise, and the flavour was quite pleasant. Rich people stuff.

I was conversing with a man around my age as we stood near the stage where another man had just been called. I felt someone's presence behind me and turned with a smile to place my empty glass on the handsome waiters tray and raised an eyebrow when he looked at me with an angrily surprised expression. He removed one of his hands from underneath the tray and I saw the glass fall down due to the tilt, breaking into a million little pieces and a little of the left over drink splashed onto his shoes.

The man looked down at the mess and just wiped his hands on a handkerchief he produced from his pocket.

'Are you crazy!' I asked him, I wouldn't have said anything normally, but it looked like he had done it on purpose and the way my day was going I didn't have a lot of doubt that this meeting too was a result of my terrible bad luck.

'Excuse me?' He handed over the tray to the man standing beside him who had a scared expression on his face. He was probably the manager, worried about his staffs behaviour.

'This is your job, you could have easily balanced it using both your hands but the way you glared and your attitude is horrible, Mister?' I trailed off, waiting for him to supply the information.

'Vanderbilt.'

'Mr. Vanderbilt, what kind of behaviour is this?' I continued.

'Professional, unlike you Miss.' He told me and I heard a nervous chuckle come from Delilah and the people around me.

'What do you think of yourself you little-' I would have continued but I couldn't for two reasons, one, everyone was staring at me and two, he interrupted me again.

'I dare you to continue that sentence.' He warned.

'I am so going to get you fired.' I threatened him and he had the audacity to let out a loud partially amused laugh.

'Then I think it's better for you to know that I do not work here.' I opened my mouth to retaliate but then froze. He did not work here? I looked at his well tailored suit and the people who were staring at me like I had escaped from a mental asylum and I felt a faint blush take over my cheeks.