"Is there a cure?" Drew asked.

"Yes," he replied, "but it is very, very expensive and is typically reserved for those of royal or noble birth."

Drew cursed. "Damn those fools!" he cried. "I'm sick and tired of them getting everything and us getting nothing."

"Andrew, please," Charles said. His mother just wept harder.

"Where is he?" Drew asked, forcing himself to calm down.

"His bedroom," Charles answered.

Drew left the kitchen and made his way to Zach's room. His anger was simmering just below the surface, but he managed to quell it lest he let it show in front of his brother. He gently knocked on the door before letting himself in.

"Zach?"

"Drew, you're back," Zach said, his voice hoarse and scratchy. He lay on his bed looking small, frail, and sickly.

"Yeah," Drew said, "I'm here. How are you doing?"

"Tired," Zach replied, "but you're going to fix it, right?"

"I'll try," he replied. It took everything in him not to cry. It pained him to see his little brother laying there, dying, and he couldn't do anything about it.

Zach closed his eyes. It wasn't long before he drifted off to sleep, leaving Drew to ruminate over what had happened in the last hour. Finally, he left Zach's room and rejoined his parents and Mr. Gardiner in the kitchen. While he had been with Zach, Mrs. Gardiner had joined them as well.

"How would I go about getting this cure for Zach's illness?" he asked Mr. Gardiner.

"You would need to acquire approximately 2,000 gold pieces," he replied, "but since you are not of royal nor noble birth, obtaining it would be close to impossible. You'd probably have to pay at least an extra 1,000 gold pieces."

"3,000 gold pieces," Drew said. "How could I get that kind of money? I couldn't steal that much."

"You'd have to do something extremely drastic like blackmail or kidnapping," Charles said, "but there's no way you would do that."

"My brother is dying," Drew growled and gritted his teeth, "I would do anything. I'd even kidnap the Princess herself and hold her for ransom."

"That's treason!" Mrs. Gardiner cried.

"I don't care," he scowled. "If that's what it takes, then so be it."

"Drew, think about it, you could-" Charles pleaded.

"I know the risks, but I must try," he said. "There's a ball tonight for the Princess's birthday. I will go in a disguise and do it."

"I cannot permit you to do this," Charles said.

"Then what is your plan? Sit back and just let Zach die? I must go," Drew said.

Charles shook his head sadly. "I just don't want to lose both of my sons."

"You won't," Drew said and got up from the table. "I'll make sure of it."

He went to his room and began preparing for his journey. All the while, he kept Zach in mind, determined not to waver. The fear of being caught lurked in the back of his mind, but he tried not to think about it. He was the Peregrine after all and the Peregrine never got caught. Never.

"Tonight," he said grimly once he was done, "I'm going to kidnap Princess Gwendolyn of Elithriel."

---

Lord Winston's estate was illuminated by the golden glow emanating from the many glass windows on the building's façade. Drew waited in a bush for two guards to pass before he entered the house. He made his way straight to Lord Winston's room where he would be drinking a glass of wine before bed.

The bedroom was ornate and gaudy. Drew scowled in disgust at the obvious luxury the greedy man lived in. How could the nobles live like this while the commoners starve? Lord Winston sat in a chair by the fire with a glass of wine in his hand, unaware that another had joined him.

"Lord Winston," Drew said. The man rose and turned around only to be punched in the face. He fell to the floor, clutching his nose and mouth in agony. Blood and wine dripped onto the white carpet staining it a deep crimson.

"You're a fool," Drew said menacingly and advanced on Lord Winston's fallen form. "What kind of security do you keep here?"

"Peregrine," Lord Winston growled. He spat blood from his mouth at Drew's feet.

Drew glanced at it indifferently before saying, "I need a favor."

"I'll never give you anything," Lord Winston said.

"I wasn't asking," Drew replied, "I was telling you. Now, I need some clothes, something nice enough for the Princess's birthday ball, and some money."

Lord Winston simply glared at him in pure loathing. Suddenly, there was a sound by the door. Drew turned around to see a young boy around four or five. He was standing in the door, his eyes darting between Lord Winston and Drew.

Drew beckoned for him to come over. "Is this your son?" he asked once the boy reached them. He crouched down and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Please, don't hurt him," Lord Winston pleaded, his countenance suddenly changing, "I'll do anything."

"Then give me what I asked," Drew said.

He let Lord Winston rise from the floor. The man shakily went about gathering the things Drew had requested. He put everything in a sack and thrusted it into Drew's waiting arms.

"Here," he said. "Never come back again."

"Then don't tell anyone I was here," Drew said. He turned to leave, but then added, "Oh, and by the way, I'm not the heartless monster you think I am. I don't hurt children. Only greedy men like yourself."

He slipped out of the estate unseen by anyone else. Once he was off the property, he fled to a dark alley. He opened the sack and removed the clothing. It was finely tailored and made of best materials that could be bought. Drew smiled.

"This is for you, Zach," he whispered as he donned the clothes. He quickly pocketed the rest of the sack's contents, before setting off for the palace.