0.6

Henry

When he got to work that night, he was anything but ready to face Charlotte.

Every day after school, for as long as he could remember, they would walk home together. Charlotte lived around the corner from Henry, so it was fun for them to be able to spend those last few minutes together before they went their own ways. It was a ten year tradition that had never been broken, until that day.

Henry had ran to his locker when his class had ended, hurrying so that he didn't get a chance to see Charlotte. He thought that their walk home, in the ten minutes that it was, would be enough alone time that he would feel tempted to tell her the truth.

So instead he walked home alone.

He hoped that Charlotte wouldn't be too mad at him, and if she asked where he had been, he would explain that he had stayed behind after school to get extra help in math. He hoped she would buy it.

As he went down the elevator, he had just enough time to swallow his worries before the doors opened, and revealed the man cave.

He saw Charlotte first, who was sitting where she always was, on the computers, tracking anything that she could to help alert Captain Man of any criminals. Her back was to him, so she didn't see him right away. It wasn't until Ray entered the room and called his name that she finally turned around.

"Henry" Ray said, holding a glass of water in his hand, "you're here"

Charlotte looked at him from across the room. He could see in her eyes that she wasn't happy with him.

"Yea, looks like he isn't dead after all." She said, turning back around to face the computer.

"Why would I be dead?" He asked, half laughing.

"Oh I don't know, when you abandoned me after school today I thought that could be the only explanation."

He could hear the resentment in her voice. She wasn't saying it, but she was pissed. Exactly what he was afraid of.

"Char I'm sorry, I went back to math to get some extra help. I'm close to failing." He tried to explain.

"You know how I know you're lying Henry?" She asked him, turning around again to face him. He shook his head.

"Because for the past ten years, when you have been struggling, even a little bit, you've always come to me for help. I mean even last night, I stayed at your place most of the night to make sure you aced a test you weren't even prepared for. I've always been that person you rely on, not a teacher. So I don't believe for a second that you needed to see one today for extra help."

He stared at her, his mouth hanging open a bit, amazed that she had already figured out his lie. He knew she was smart, but he thought he had at least a few days to work something else out, not two minutes.

"I just want to know what's going on with you" she said, standing up in front of him, "why have you been so weird today?"

He didn't know what to tell her. He hadn't thought any farther than where he was. What did he say now?

"I don't know" he finally said, looking down at her, then turning away just as fast. "I don't know."

"Well I don't want anything to be weird between us, Henry. Not only do we go to school together, we work together too. And when you can't look at me for longer than twenty seconds without getting weird, that affects that. So please, whatever it is, try to fix it, okay?" She asked.

He looked back at her, and nodded, hoping it looked believable. Whether it was or not, Charlotte nodded back at him, and then left the room.

His heart finally began to beat normally again.