Chapter Five - Hunting for trolls and treasure

I piled the carcasses down on top of the first stag and was about to speak when I heard Gandalf's voice "The dawn will take you all!" he exclaimed jabbing his staff down onto the rock he was on causing it to crumble and the dawn light to hit the trolls. I scowled at Gandalf before sitting down next to the deer and beginning to skin it. I set the skin aside, and began to detach the antlers hacking them into manageable pieces sliding them into my pack. I tuned out their conversation. I was angry at Gandalf, as a wizard he should have understood about taking lives when it wasn't needed.

I looked up scowling at the dwarf that tapped my shoulder, Ori stepped back fear flicking over his face. I sighed and left the carcasses on the ground bagging only the important bits of meat. I knew Celia was following.

I stood dusting myself off, and slinging my pack back onto my back and stalking after the company as they looked for the trolls cave. Grumpy at the slowness that was holding us up I grabbed Thorin's shoulder and pulled him after the trail Tom, Burt and their friend had left.

Once I got to the cave mouth I let go of Thorin and walked in wrinkling my nose and scanned the cave, once I saw that it was safe I popped my head out and nodded. Before ducking back in and turning to the sword that had caught my eye. I pulled it from the sheath and gasped dropping it breathing heavily.

I closed my eyes for a brief moment before picking it back up and attaching it to my belt. And retreating from the cave. Outside I pulled the blade out and examined it, a tear dropping from the corner of my eye. The queen's sword, the one my mother had grabbed to defend her charge the one she had dropped when the Orc had grabbed her and kicked it away. The one the Orc saw fit to keep.

As the company filed out of the cave Gandalf called Bilbo over.

"Here. This is about your size." He says handing a small short sword to him. Bilbo attempts to return it "The blade is of Elvish make which means it will glow blue when orcs or goblins are nearby." He tells

"I have never used a sword in my life." Bilbo says looking apprehensively at the sword.

"And I hope you never have to." He says and I speak up

"But if you do, remember this: true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one." I spit glaring at Gandalf

"Something's coming!" Thorin cries

"Thieves! Fire! Murder!" a man dressed in brown cries flying through the foliage.

"Radagast! Radagast the Brown. Ah. What on earth are you doing here?" Gandalf unknowingly settles the dwarves.

"I was looking for you, Gandalf. Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong."

Radagast opens his mouth to speak, but shuts it. He opens his mouth again "Oh, just give me a minute. Um, oh, I had a thought, and now I've lost it. It was, it was right there, on the tip of my tongue." He sticks his tongue out and I step forward to pull of the bug that sits on his tongue

"Oh, it's not a thought at all; It's a silly old... stick insect"

A howl is heard in the distance.

"Was that a wolf? Are there wolves out there?" Bilbo quivers

"No" I growl pulling the sword from my belt and jumping in front of Thorin and slaying the Warg, just as Orcs once were elves. Wargs were once wolves' great wolves who had succumbed to the Necromancers darkness, and therefore could not be reasoned with. Something I had learnt within the first few days with Celia and the pack.

A Warg sprung from the opposite side of the company. "Warg ­Scouts! Which means an Orc pack is not far behind." Thorin warns.

"Orc pack?" Bilbo gulps

"Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?" Gandalf asks angrily

"No one." Thorin shoots back to the wizard

"Who did you tell?" Gandalf insists glancing around

"No one, I swear. What in Durin's name is going on?" Thorin asks tensing up

"You are being hunted."

"We have to get out of here." Dwalin points out helpfully

"We can't! We have no ponies; They bolted." Ori panics

"I'll draw them off."

"No" I cut off "They will catch you"

Gandalf agrees with a nod of his head "These are Gundabad Wargs; They will outrun you." Radagast chuffs

"These are Rhosgobel Rabbits; I'd like to see them try." And with that he mounts his sled and the rabbits take off.