Chapter 25

It was dark and peaceful. My entire body was now numb, all pain obliterated.

'This must be what death feels like,' I thought to myself, 'Peaceful.' It was then that I began to notice the tingling in my wrist where they were bound. Slowly more feeling returned and I heard labored breathing. My eyes flew open to see my mother with Ezekiel, a knife sticking out of his chest. The blade running through his heart. I jumped up from surprise, my head swirling at the movement. Ezekiel stared at my mother, face filled with physical and emotional pain.

"Why Camelia? Why would you betray me yet again?" He whispered, his voice barely audible.

"The future of the world is more important than my feelings." She responded back, fighting to hold back tears.

"I... I do not understand. You hate me do you not?"

"I could never hate you, my heart will not allow me."

"Then if by your hands, I am glad to die." He smiled as a silent tear fell from his left eye. Then he turned to me, my mother now supporting him.

"Save her. Save everyone, before it is too late and-" He paused to cough, blood spilling from his mouth and running down his chin,

"I am sorry, for all of this. I wanted revenge. I wanted your mother to feel the same pain I felt, but I guess that failed." He laughed sadly, stopping to cough.

"Camelia," He said weakly, "Please say it just once that you love me, that you never stopped caring."

"I love you, Ezekiel, and I never stopped, not even for a second."

"Thank you." He wheezed, giving a small smile before closing his eyes to the world for a final time. His arms went slack and he collapsed to the ground. Something in my mother broke as she stared as his body. Her eyes flooded and she pulled out the knife, tossing it across the room. She sat with her legs crossed, his heavy head placed on her ankles. She stayed this way for what seemed like hours until the silence was too unbearable.

"How did you break free from the spell?" I asked, trying to get her to redirect her thoughts.

"Your power reached me just in time," She sniffled, "I awoke just in time." Her voice cracked at the last bit as she broke into sobs. I stared at the ground until an idea came.

"I have a plan." I announced.

"You cannot save him... he has been gone too long..."

"But what if we preserve him, his soul, I mean. Keep him alive in your heart?"

"That kind of spell has not been found for centuries let alone used!"

"I can at least try. I owe that much."

"Very well." She stood up, carefully placing his head on the floor. I walked over to Ezekiel's body, his soul still trapped.

"Eternal life shall not evade you," I whisper, letting the light fill me as the words flow into my head.

"As flows water, you soul will swim, never stopping, never ceasing to exist. Love is your guide. Now find my light. Luna morrís flor viví!" A blinding light flooded the room and I shielded my eyes. A few seconds later it faded and I looked back only to see a flower on the cold ground. It's violet petals glowed warmly, contrasting with the bleakness of the house. Just glancing at it warmed my heart.

"My Gods..." My mother gasped.

"What?" I demanded, confused by her reaction.

"It is an Amaranth."

"Amaranth?" I ask, the term seeming oddly familiar.

"A legendary flower that never fades. It is eternal." She said, her eyes watering, this time with joy.