Chapter 10

I kept Wilheim's betrayal a secret, even from him. I decided that I needed to do more "research" on the matter. I tried to follow him to see if his phone would ring again, but he would see me and then stomp away in a rage tantrum. Every time he caught me, I would curse my clumsiness and inability to be sneaky. Those were the two things that I was never able to master on the streets.

Giving up for the day, I walked into the room, sighing in defeat, when Wilheim stepped out from behind the door. He slammed it, trapping me inside.

"What do you want?" I sneered angrily.

"You have no right to be mad at me after what you did!"

"Really now?" I asked, the rage building up inside of me, "Would you care to bet on that?"

"What are you talking about? You're the one who abused my trust.. my love-"

"Seriously?" I demanded, the anger bursting, "Then who were you calling, Mr. Trustworthy?"

His face paled, "No one important..."

"You were the one who said if that phone rings then it is important! So, who called that would make it so important?!"

"You seem to know that already."

"I want to hear it from you. So tell me Wilheim, who called?"

He cringed at the ferosity in my voice as I yelled his name. I saw the guilty pain in his eyes, but I was too angry to care.

"Your Uncle..." He whispered quietly.

Seeing his weary face, the rage drained from me, leaving only saddness as tears threatened to fall.

"Do you know what he did to me?" I cried silently, "Do you understand all the pain and suffering that I, Hell, my Mother had to go through?"

"Yes I do..."

"Then why? Why the act, the tantrum to get on the ship, the false caring words, taking my first KISS?" The tears were apparent now, running down my face and leaving salty trails.

"I'm sorry, Ver-"

"Don't call me Ver! I do not want your petty affection!"

"Veria, it was all for the greater good."

"Greater good? What about mentally torturing someone is for the greater good?!"

"Well for one, you finally talked like a normal person."

"Normal person? What are you-"

"Don't call me Ver!" He mocked, bring a grim smile to my lips.

"Fine, I used improper language but that has nothing to do with the point-"

"And she's gone again."

"What are you-" I huffed, "Stop interrupting me! and stop changing the subject!"

"Fine, fine." He lifted his hands into submission.

"What did you two talk about?"

He gulped, "THAT, I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"Remember when I said there were things you didn't need to know?"

"This is not one of those things! This is my life. This is my FAMILY!"

"You have no idea." He muttered.

"Then give me an idea! Give me something to get by on!"

"I wish I could." He was telling the truth, which only made me want to hate him more, but I couldn't. Curse the Gods, he WAS getting to me. If I am not careful, I will be soon talking like a commoner myself.