It sounded horrible. It really did, that I had settled with Aidan. But I had fallen for society’s idea that he was right for me, he was the perfect match. And I loved him, I really did. But I didn’t want perfect, I wanted normal yes, but not perfect. Michael was…hostile, volatile, dangerous. That’s how society viewed him. But through my eyes, I didn’t see any of that. I saw the guy who patched me up after I tore stitches, the guy that stayed up all night to talk to me, the guy who comforted me after my cat was murdered. The guy that defended me time and again.

The Michael I saw was my definition of perfect. No one else’s.

Michael’s face crumbled when he heard all of that. He looked tortured, agonized as he finally figured it all out. Why I kept asking him to come back, how much it hurt me that he wouldn’t. His would-be sacrifice was in vain because what I was willing to give him, he’d forced me to give someone else, someone I’d settled for.

He moved quickly, coming up from the end of the couch. His mouth connected with mine and the room detonated with emotion. I loved him, I wanted him. He loved me, he wanted me. And as it had been with seeing him for the first time after separation, the dreams never did him justice. He felt so good, he tasted and smelled so, so good. He kissed better than I remembered. Shock seemed to strike me, like lighting. All my limbs seemed to turn to rubber, I knew what I wanted and at this point in time I was going to do everything in my power to get it. There was more urgency in his kisses than in mine. But I couldn’t seem to care. The world seemed to spin, everything turned upside down, but nothing seemed to matter.

I faintly heard someone knock but I didn’t do anything about it. I was too focused on Michael and his skin against mine. But then the knocking grew too loud for either of us to ignore. Michael growled and drew back, his eyes locking on the door and the intruder behind it.

I closed my eyes and tried to sort out my own thoughts from his. He was angry, upset that someone had interrupted us. I didn’t want him to be angry so I opened my eyes and touched his face, drawing his attention back to me.

He looked down at me, his anger quickly turning to love as our eyes connected.

Don’t be angry.

His eyes traveled down to my mouth and he swallowed.

Why is there always someone interrupting us?

Luck of the draw.

His mouth quirked up in the corner. He sat up and pulled me up, draping my legs across his lap.

“Come in,” he finally said.

A young woman walked into the room and stopped when she spotted us on the couch.

“I’m here to offer my services.”

I was confused but Michael rolled his eyes.

“You’re not needed. You can go.”

“But sir—”

Michael interrupted her. “I said go.”

“As you wish.”

She turned and left the room. “What services was she offering?”

“Some of the Coven like their blood…fresh.”

“Oh…oh. You mean she…”

“Yes.”

“I thought humans weren’t allowed in Vampire Domain.”

“She’s not human. She’s a Conduit. It’s a species whose blood can be anything you want it to be.”

“That’s…gross.”