Defense Juliet

I expected Aidan to act just like he normally would after a break up. A thrown together party, bed hopping, rumors about why we broke up, and just about everything else but the kitchen sink.

I wasn’t disappointed.

Aidan didn’t show up for lunch. He skipped sparring class. And by the time I entered the dinning hall for dinner, I had girls looking at me like I was…well, stupid. And the guys, well they looked at me like I was sex on a stick.

I went over to the line and grabbed something random. I didn’t care, I wasn’t going to eat it anyways. When I turned around Joey Staten stood behind me.

“Oh God, who dug you out of the compost heap?”

“Heard you were single.” He leaned against the post.

“Your point?”

“Just wanted to know if you wanted to go to Formal with me.”

“And why in the hell would I do that?”

“Rumor has it Hanover popped your cherry. And now that he’s done with you, I figured I’d offer up my services.”

Oh that was…gross.

“Is that so?” I smiled at him. I stepped up close to him. “Do you think you can handle it?”

He smiled. “I can take anything you’re willing to offer.”

I grabbed the knife off my tray and pressed it to his special parts south of the border.

“Well, I tell you what. You lay one fingernail on me and I’ll carve you up like a thanksgiving turkey. Got it?”

The blood drained from his face. “Yes.”

“Good. Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to go eat my dinner now.”

I moved away and over to my table. I dropped my tray down and sat on the cold bench. I didn’t have an appetite but I knew I had to eat. Halfway through my meal, someone sat down across from me. I glanced up and grimaced.

“Oh God, are all the cockroaches coming out of the woodwork?”

Harriet sat at the other side of the table. She looked perfectly happy.

“Hello Gee.”

“What do you want?”

“To thank you, of course. The school’s most valuable bachelor is back on the market. Thanks to you.”

I sighed. “Anything else?”

“Well I just wanted to know if we could be friends again.”

“And why would you want that?”

“Us fighting is silly. Over a boy? Come on.”

 She wasn’t serious, I could tell by the look in her eyes.

“I’ll pass.”

Harriet just shrugged. “Your loss. Just remember, I did warn you.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

Harriet got up and left. I finished my dinner and dumped my tray in trash. I didn’t even make it out of the building before it all came back up. I managed to make it to a trash can but several people walked passed, giving me weird looks. I was sure by tomorrow there would be rumors about me being bulimic or pregnant. Luke handed me a paper towel when I straightened, still not saying a word about any of it. I put on my beanie and gloves and headed out. Luke followed me, staying two paces away like always.