My threat drove its way home and he narrowed his eyes at me.

“Why you little whore. You will not speak to me—”

“That’s enough,” Michael said dangerously. “Uncle. That. Is. Enough.”

His uncle’s face visibly paled. There was one thing I knew about Michael and that was in my defense, he was very, very dangerous. And his uncle knew that. In Michael’s world, I was marked as his. If anyone dared to insult me, he was the one they’d have to deal with.

And as I looked from his uncle to the others in the wings, I knew they’d all gotten the message. Many of them were older, more powerful, but they all recognized Michael for what he was and what he was capable of.

Michael’s hands slipped down my arms and one took my hand. He tugged gently and we left the room.

I’ve compared my life to chess a few times. I’m not the king or the queen, I don’t even resemble the knight or the bishop. I’m not even that little castle looking piece that’s on the end. I’m the pawn. I sit in front of all the other pieces, being the first one to be sacrificed to win the game. Normally, I would be ok with that. People are used every day to get what they want. But Vampires aren’t exactly people and they can’t be defined as a friend or even an acquaintance. I really wanted to turn my position around at that very moment and be the queen or king and shove them all under the bus.

But that wasn’t my role to play.

When we got back to my room, I headed straight for my bedroom. I’d released Michael’s hand, the wall slamming back into place. I didn’t say anything to anyone even though I heard both Luke and Michael call out my name. I closed the door behind me and I locked it just for good measure. I knew I shouldn’t be mad. I should have listened that morning when Michael was telling me what would happen. But that stunt was ridiculous.

Feeling the weight of the morning settle on my shoulders, I sank down to the floor with my back up against the door. I put my head in my hands and wished the remaining of my headache away.

I wanted so badly to talk to someone innocent. Someone so far away from this. I got up and crossed the room, my phone sitting on my nightstand. For the hundredth time I looked for signal. I was sure someone told me, cell reception here sucked. I climbed up on the dresser and finally caught three bars worth of signal.

I speed dialed Aidan’s cell.

It rang the allotted amount before kicking me to his voicemail. I left him a message, telling him I’d try back later. When I hung up and checked the time, I realized he’d probably be asleep.

“Damn.”

I was about to jump down from the dresser when my phone buzzed. I flipped it open.

Aidan.

I smiled and answered, “Hi.”

“Hey.”

“Did I wake you?”

“No.” The groan of bed springs in the background told me the truth. “How are you?”

He sounded exhausted but I wasn’t too worried about that. The thought of him in bed was the only thing on my mind at that moment.

“I’m…well. I feel a little violated but other than that I’m ok.”

What?” That snapped him awake. “What happened?”

“They wanted to know what happened the day I died.”

“Why?”

“Because they want to be a hundred percent sure Jason did something wrong before condemning him. And they needed to see my actual memory to decide that.”