chapter one

♡

—FINN—

The familiar feel of the key edges in my palm. It had been a while. I felt impaired and unfamiliar to the whole drill. I looked down at the key and my hands tighten, my fingernails bite into my skin with nerve and anticipation.  Suddenly, the adrenaline rushed into my body; I am electrified.  I grab the keycard abruptly and slot it in the hole with a satisfying click. Without hesitation, I check who I am assigned to. Mila Wreathall. My lips mouth the words,they taste foreign and strange.Hmmm...haven't heard of her before.
My face turns into a frown as my eyes stare blankly at the bleak door.
All of a sudden, the elevator arrives without warning, emitting a warm green glow as the door smoothly opens.I see Blake striding in and gradually build the courage to ask him.

"Blake! Hi!" I chatter excitedly, before coughing and settling down, "I meant... "Hi Dude. What's cool."  Blake stared at me like I had mental issues.
"Hi." he grunts, not even shifting his eyesight to talk to me. He was busy checking everyone's keycards. Blake's nosey like that.
"Sorry to disturb you. Have you heard of this new girl, Mila Wreathall?" I ask, not trying to raise any suspicion.
"Oh, haven't you heard?" Blake snickered, stopping with what he was doing to look me straight in the eye, "Her last miraur quit. Apparently she's too difficult, whatever that means. I wonder why they picked someone like you to do it." He's trying to intimidate me,I can tell. Blake sneered but I won't let it get to me. I won't let him.What happened before isn't going to happen again. I take a deep breath. I can feel my pulse raising and my head burning with anger. Stay calm, Finn. Stay calm.

MILA

We've moved house. Did I think much of it? Not really. Not until today.

I'm Mila Wreathall. 13 years old and now living in an old Victorian house in the middle of nowhere. We have an attic in our ancient house and that is where my bedroom is. A small window to look outside to the endless blanket of greenery and hillsides,a bed with a multi coloured quilt and a drawer with a key so small and dainty that it could almost belong in a dollhouse. That's not even the best bit. In the middle, there is a mirror. Not just any ordinary mirror... a mirror with a white border and a marble line drawing all the way around the mirror. Perfect to practice my ballet. Something about this mirror feels special but I can't quite grasp my fingers around it.

"Mila! Supper!" I hear my mum shout all the way from downstairs (really, does she have to shout?).The aroma of the spices and herbs lure me to come down. "Yes mum!" I open the door delicately then slide down the winding banister of the marble staircase, my golden hair breezing past me. I laugh like a 5 year old. "Mila! Don't slide down the banister!" Mum cries.
"Sorry!" A small smile spreads across my face as I ran into the kitchen, ducking down,and just missing my head from being hit by one of the many pans.

hi guys!did you all like the first chapter?please vote,comment and share!

—rukie and javeria xx