Chapter Eleven: Wanted

I leaned back and stared at the man in front of me.

For a man like Alexdander, he doesn't look like someone who has too many problems to deal with. But for some reasons, maybe he does. Everyone has their own story to tell. Even though how much you think someone looks like their living a perfect life when the truth is they don't. Highschool and College retreats made me realize that each and everyone of us face problems every once in a while.

"Alexander," I called out his name and he instantly faced me, raising his eyebrow. "What's your life story?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"There's nothing to talk about myself."

Nagkasalubong ang dalawang kilay ko. I wasn't buying his bullshit.

"Spill the beans, Yu. I've done my part. Now, its your time to do yours." I said, folding my arms on my chest.

"Okay," he cleared his throat before speaking once again. "When I was a kid, I excelled in everything. Palaging nasa top, known as the good student. Plus, I wasn't handsome before." He said, winking at me. I just rolled my eyes at his last statement. But I couldn't deny the fact that puberty hit him so good. It did a pretty well job on making him look handsome. Though I won't let him know that.

I just stared at him, waiting for the next words to come out of his mouth. So, this is it. Malalaman ko na kung ano ang nasa likod ng singkit niyang mga mata at nakakairitang attitude.

"When I transferred schools during my first year in highschool, I met some friends. They were cool and I wasn't. I'll admit, I was far from cool and handsome before but they helped me with that. To give me a better label for myself, other than being called lampa, ugly or nerdy Xander."

"When I told that to my parents, they seemed happy about. Kasi for the first time, someone wanted to be really friends with me and not just that, they were also helpful. What they didn't know is that my so-called friends taught me something different."

I saw Alexander shut his eyes closed. He paused for a minute, probably a bad memory flashbacked. Before continuing, he inhaled deeply, opened his eyes and looked into my eyes and smiled. And I think I smiled back at him.

It felt like it was taking forever. He was looking straight at me and honestly, I was getting conscious. I cleared my throat.

"What did they teach you, Alexander?" I asked and just like what I have expected, he moved and broke his eye contact with me. Why is he do that this past few days? Napapansin ko palaging nakatingin sa akin. Does he think I'm going to fall into his charms? Because if that is what he's doing, then he's doing a shitty job.

"They taught me how to smoke, use drugs and how to look good in front of anybody." Nakangiti niyang sabi. Pagkatapos niyang sabihin iyon, napasandal siya sa upuan niya habang nakatingin sa kalangitan ang kanyang mga mata.

And me. I was shocked. Okay, Alexander wasn't the goody-goody kind of person for me but I didn't expect he'd taken drugs before.

"I know what you're thinking, Kim. I'll admit I got addicted with using those and I was a jerk. I was stupid enough to think they'd help me without doing anything stupid. Tanga ko lang at hindi ako pumalag." He said, staring into nowhere. "I regretted it, Kimberly." He shifted his sight and the next thing I knew, he was looking at me once again.

"I fucking regret every shit I did when I was younger. After that moment, I started ditching classes with them. I became the opposite of past self. They influenced me big time. Truth to be told, I really got the title they told me."

"W-When did you realize the things you did?" I asked.

"When mom saw a small pack of weed inside my drawer." My eyes widened. What did he do? "Dad knew about it and he punched me a couple of times. Hindi ako lumaban. If there's one thing that haven't changed in me, that was my respect for my parents. They were both crying that time. Asked me what they've done wrong. Kung ano ang pagkukulang nila bilang mga magulang ko."

"Iyak ng iyak na rin ako nun. I hated seeing both of my parents cry and get hurt because of the shitty thinking I had. For two months, I didn't bond with them. They didn't talk to me about anything. Nagkikita kami pero di kami nag-uusap."

"I hated myself for doing that. I hated why I became friends with the guys when in fact, they were never really a friend to me. They were a bunch of teenagers, trying to live the life to fullest but in fact, they were just wasting it. I tried confronting them about the issue. I already decided to leave the group. But our talk ended up being a fight, they were six and I was the only one. Syempre, ako ang talo."

"I can't remember what happened next. Ang huling naaalala ko lang ay ang pagbugbog nilang lahat sa akin and the next thing I remember, I was in a hospital bed with mom beside me. They were so worried because they thought I rebelled once again. Akala nila lumayas ako dahil hindi ako nakauwi. They said someone called them early in the morning, saying that I was unconscious and full of bruise and cuts."

"My shitty business happened for a year and so I transferred schools. I stopped whatever I did the previous year. At first, it was hard stopping with the cigarettes. Madali ko namang natigil ang paggamit ng drugs. Little by little, I practiced myself to lessen and stop smoking. Months later, I succeed and I stopped smoking cigarettes and taking weed. Hindi na rin ako nagcutting classes. I chose the friends I have. Bumawi ako. Once again, I excelled."

"Pano sina tito?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "Napatawad na rin daw nila ako. According to them, they saw how I live my life. They saw how I doubled my effort when it comes to my academics and sports. Nakita nila ang pagbabagong nangyari sa akin."

"So that means you're okay?" I asked, referring to his relationship with his parents.

He gave me a sly smile as he traced his fingers on the glass. He remained silent.

"Ibig sabihin hindi kayo okay nina tito?"

"We're okay but I was too ashamed of myself. Napakagago kong tao noon. I feel like they forgave me so easily back then. It was my own burden and I needed to do somethings. Lahat ng gusto nila, ginagawa ko without arguing with them. They wanted me to take business ad in college, I did. They wanted me to run the family business, I did. They wanted me clean the house and take care of our dog, I did.."

"And they wanted you to marry me," I said looking at him. Is this the reason why he agreed with this arrangement? "and you will."

Slowly, he nodded his head.

"And they wanted me to marry and fall in love with you, I just did."