Chapter Four

"Good evening Father, good evening Mother." I spoke respectfully as I closed the door to our designated dwelling behind me. The inside furnishings were no different from that of any other in the Society. The dwelling was decorated with white walls and furniture in alternating shades of grey and black. I cannot help but feel welcomed by the simplicity of it all.

"Alyssa, you're fifteen minutes tardy." A soft spoken voice answered me as my father and mother came to greet me at the door. They were not my biological parents, but I am no different from the numerous others soon to be citizens of the Society. We have the Birthmothers for childbearing, allowing the remaining of the female population of the Society to continue as able-bodied and productive Citizens. The Birthmothers were a vital part of the Society; they provide the population for the Society. While they work for the shortest amount of time, approximately 13.6 years, in that span of time they go through the processes of insemination and birth five times, raising those five Products for exactly two years each.

"I apologize, Mother and Father." I replied, looking down to the floor in respect before returning eye contact. "However, it was out of my control. I sincerely wish I did not frighten you." They gave me warm smiles, their eyes crinkling up in the corners with happiness. In that look alone, it was obvious to tell that all had been forgiven. One of the largest factors in the Society was the ability to not dwell on past slights, especially if they had been justified.

"Thank you for your concern, Alyssa." My father told me, nodding in approval of my actions. "I'm sure your tardiness can be explained, but perhaps later on into the evening. This evening is for celebration."

My mother smiled at him, looping her arm through his own. She directed her smile towards me then, “We just received notification that you had been accepted." She explained to me, and I allowed myself a moment for the blood to rush to my face from the praise. "Congratulations, Alyssa. In a matter of days, you will be a full citizen of the Society."

"We are very proud of your success." My father adds.

I smiled kindly at them, "Thank you, Mother. Thank you, Father."  I removed my shoes carefully where I stand, placing them gently on the mat in front of the door. The linoleum tiles were cold against my bare feet, but I had long since stopped minding. Every house was kept at the same designated temperature, which was kept cold enough to keep our minds sharp, however warm enough to be comfortable. "Have you eaten yet?" I asked them politely, but still concerned, "Surely you did not wait on account of my tardiness. That is not good for your schedules."

I received a light chuckle from my family as we moved into the sitting room where it would be more comfortable. "We did not interrupt our schedules, Alyssa. Although, I do strongly advise you to eat. You are young, and your schedule is more flexible for things like tardiness. But as a full citizen, you will no longer have that flexibility." My father told me, his voice gentle but firm in his beliefs. I nodded in affirmation to his words, smiling again as they sat down comfortably on the couch in our sitting room.

"Of course, I will return to my normal schedule immediately. Please, excuse me for a moment." I left the room momentarily, heading towards the kitchen for my predetermined meal. The Society plans out every meal of every individual, keeping us all at a healthy, normal weight. The kitchen itself was a relatively small room, large enough to hold three people in it, and no more. The room had precisely three screens built into the wall, much like the touch screen desks used for examinations, one for each member of the family. I turned to the screen on the right, farthest from the door, watching the symbol of the Society as it bounced happily from corner to corner, before my presence was noted.

They tell me that it does not matter which screen I pick, all of them would deliver accurate results. But the one on the left has always been Mother’s; the one beside mine has always been Father's, so this one has always belonged to me. The one of the far left remains off, we have never had a need for it.