Fly Out Of My Head

Start from the beginning

“What about Bren?”

I smiled. “Bren is—well, it was an adventure to say the least.”

“You’re not going to tell me, are you?”

“One day.” I looked at him. “Maybe when I know all of your secrets.”

“Why do you make is sound like I have so many?”

“Because you do. Everyone knows it, even me. It’s not hard to tell if a person has a secret. You should know that. Since you literally made me tell mine a few months ago.”

“Yours weighted heavily on your mind. Mine don’t.”

“I don’t know, Peter Marks. You look like the whole world rests on your shoulders right now. Like Atlas.”

“Better than a tortoise or an elephant.”

“Elephants have long memories. You are definitely not one of those.”

He smiled. “I’m an Aries. So more like a ram than an elephant.”

“That doesn’t say much for us.”

“December 22 which makes you a Capricorn.”

“We’re not very compatible.”

“Zodiac signs aren’t everything.”

“Well considering my mother was an Aquarius and my father was a Leo…”

“They were in love and stayed that way.”

“Yeah but they didn’t stay together. They are not a couple to use as an example.”

“Neither are Romeo and Juliet, Tristan and Isolde, or Heloise and Abelard. But yet they are the most notable couples in literature.”

“You do realize they all died, right? Are you trying to tell me something?”

“No. All I’m trying to say is love can be tragic and hard. Whoever said it was supposed to be easy was blowing smoke out of their ass.”

“Peter…”

“You’re not really seeing Darken, are you?”

“I wouldn’t lie to you.”

“Then why am I here instead of him?”

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe it’s because you showed up on my doorstep with a cop as your escort. Why are we talking about this?”

“He likes you that I have to admit. I knew that back when we were together but you two don’t have that…vibe. It’s more tense than anything.”

“Peter…”

“You don’t want to be with him, Cass. Admit it.”

“You’re just trying to get me to say I want to be with you.”

“Do you?”

“That’s not the point we’re on right now.”

“You’re right. We were talking about if you were really seeing Darken or not.”

“As far as I know that fact hasn’t changed. Just because we’re not firmly shoved up each other’s asses doesn’t mean anything.”

“It’s fairly simple, Cass. If you like the guy, you’d want to be around him. From what I can tell, you can barely stand being near him.”

“You sound really jealous right now, you know that right?”

“I’m just telling you the truth.”