Chapter 14: Switched

Start from the beginning

"We have weapons, Commander."

"We have numbers, Councillor."

Costia smiled. Lexa would not come easy. Her capture could have very strong consequences on the current fragile political scenario of the lands. She would have to think this through.

"You are not to be treated as a Prisoner, Commander. I need to talk to the Chancellor and the council before I take a decision, even if I want otherwise. You are welcomed to stay here for a few weeks, till we come to a decision. You will be absolutely free on Arkadian lands, and treated with respect that befits the Commander. However, you and all your fifty captured warriors will have to submit your arms. You can send word to your advisors and second as to the current scenario. They should be well aware that we will be forced to take stringent measures if they even come near our camp with any retaliatory motive. And till we decide on the nature of the treaty, you will be our esteemed guest here. However under no circumstances can you leave the boundaries of this camp. How does that sound to you Leksa?"

Lexa looked at Costia intently, clearly impressed with the young girl's astute political sense and clever planning. She looked at Clarke standing beside Costia, trying very hard to subdue any trace of emotion from her face. Lexa's face curved slightly upwards in a smile.

"I would say that sounds right, Councillor. I will be very interested to find out what the Council decides," she said.

Clarke drew a sharp breath. It was not like Lexa to submit without a fight. What was she playing at?

"Excellent. Then I say let's break for the night. Your room will be ready in sometime, Commander. However your warriors will have to spend the night in makeshift tents. We will need a day or so to provide living quarters for all of them." Costia smiled. "Clarke will show you to your resting areas."

"I will?" Clarke raised her eyebrows at Costia.

"You are the only living person to have captured the Commander. The Commander might not have weapons, but I know what she is capable of." Costia turned to Lexa. "No offence, Leksa."

"I will take that as a compliment." Lexa shrugged.

"I don't trust anyone else with the Commander, Clarke." Costia said.

"Kostia, would you mind if I had a word with Klarke before that?" Luna, who had been absolutely silent during this whole exchange, suddenly spoke up.

"Of course. She's your second, after all."

Luna motioned Clarke to follow her into a small ante-room. Once they were completely out of earshot, she said, "Are you alright?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not stupid Klarke. I took you into my camp only after I knew the whole story. I absolutely trust Lincoln, and he had told me every single detail before Leksa sent you. So I'll ask again. Are you alright?"

Clarke lowered her head. "I didn't want to do it. I didn't know it was her. It was a mistake."

"You can't undo that now."

"What am I going to do, Luna? The woman I l...Lexa and all my friends are prisoners because of me."

"Dont blame yourself too much. You are her weakness. I've never seen her lose concentration on the battlefield in 20 years. Not even when her parents fell right in front of her eyes during the battle with Azgeda."

"So what am I going to do? Be the good little soldier and help these bastards make her a prisoner?"

"These 'bastards' are my allies, and you are my 'warrior'. Don't forget that Klarke." Luna said, her voice suddenly sharper. She looked at Clarke, who was on the brink of tears. Her voice softened. "Don't worry too much. I know Lexa. She wouldn't have given in, without a plan. She always has a plan."