Chapter 2 - Back 2 School

A/N Picture of Jake's truck to the side

"Jake save meee!!" I heard the hysterical cry from down the hall. Living on our ranch you'd easily expect there to be a python in the house ready to make someone his breakfast. Although, this wasn't that morning a year ago when Tyler met a python and lived to tell the tale – and exaggerate the python's size when telling said tale. No this was just the first day back to school after Christmas break and Tyler screaming bloody murder was because he didn't want to go. "Help they're attacking me!" that cry for help could only mean mom was struggling to get him dressed.. again..

"Tyler just get dressed. Jake wake up breakfast is ready!" Mom yelled from down the hall. I went down stairs to get breakfast and heard dad talking to the big shot lawyer who is opening a new law firm in Texas. He was renting an office block five miles from our ranch. I had met the lawyer before and him and his family just moved here from New York. I dished up some food for me and Tyler and made us both some coffee.

I took the meals up to Tyler's room, when I entered I could see his room was a mess and mom looked tired from struggling with the twelve year old, but standing there was a neatly dressed Tyler rocking his dark blue jeans, red checkered shirt and a cowboy hat. The freckles on his face highlighted by a smile, smile caused by the appearance of food.

"Thanks Jake, I'm starving" Tyler said with a grin as wide as California on his face. "Anytime partner, a cowboy's gotta eat" I said with a wink. "You ready to go to school?" Tyler's face dropped and with half a smile he replied "Yes"

We ate and went down to my 1987 Ford pickup truck. Dad wanted to buy me something old so that I didn't get a big head and we both agreed the old pickup was a great choice. I loved my truck and it was reliable 80% of the time..

We greeted mom and dad with a hug and a kiss and left for school. After dropping Tyler off I went to my school. When I stopped there my usual parking spot was taken by a black Mercedes CL200, the car was a stranger to me, but I didn't mind it stopping in my spot and simply parked somewhere else.

When I climbed out of my truck I was immediately tackled to the ground. "Jake!!" I smiled when I heard my attackers' voice. It was Carla. Carla's been my best friend since we were 5 years old. She's also the only one that knows I'm gay. "Hey Carla" I caught her in a tight bear hug "I missed you". She returned the hug and a kiss on my cheek. "I missed you too J. How was the ski holiday? " She asked. "It was fun." I said and felt my cheeks get warm. "OMG you met someone" she said matter of factly. "Yeah, but I'll never see him again" I confessed and saw the sympathy suddenly appear in her eyes.

"So tell me about him" she demanded, but before I could answer Timmy appeared. "Tell you later" I whispered and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Timmy was my best friend since we were fourteen, but I couldn't ever imagine telling him I was into guys. "Hey guys" Timmy greeted. Seventeen year old Timothy Howles and Carla Burke were cousins and Carla's mother was the school principal. Timothy moved here from San Francisco when his parents died and Mrs Burke took him in.

"Hey Timmy" we greeted and before we could catch up with him and his holiday stories – which probably included some drunk girl whose name has been long forgotten. The school bell rang calling us to class. We went to Mrs Harris' class. She was both my home room and Biology teacher. We entered the class and sat in our usual seats. Carla sat to my left and Timmy sat behind me.

"Good morning class" Mrs Harris greeted us when we were all seated. We returned the greeting and she continued. "I trust you all had a fantastic Christmas holiday. We have a new student joining us today, Richard Evans." First I thought I must've heard wrong, it wasn't possible. Was it?

But sure enough I saw him walk into the class room. The same adorable sexy blond haired guy I met at a Christmas party. Carla must've seen the shock on my face. She poked me and asked "Are you okay?" I replied with a nod and whispered "I met someone this holiday" with a wink. She seemed to understand what I meant, because her eyes widened and darted between me and Richard. With a nod I confirmed that he was the one I met.

Mrs Harris pointed to the empty seat on my right and said Richard could sit there. When he looked this way his eyes caught mine, excitement flaring up in his beautiful blue eyes. His cheeks turned a rosy pink and I couldn't help but to smile at how adorable he was. He sat next to me, a big grin playing on his face.

"Nice to see you again" he whispered. "Nice to see you as well" I replied and then it occurred to me "I thought you lived in Manhattan, what are you doing in Texas?"

"I just moved here. My dad is opening up his own law firm here."