7. How To Kill A Dragon [A Comedy] (Fantasy)

Astrid: "I bet he's really frightened now... what are you gonna do about it?"
Hiccup:" Ehhh... probably something stupid."
Astrid: "Good, but you've already done that..."
Hiccup: [after a pause] "Then something crazy...!"
Astrid: "That's more like it!"
(Scene from 'How To Train Your Dragon' – 2010)

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away, there was a small village. The village was surrounded by a fallacious forest, a jinxed jungle, macho mountains, a deadly desert and a maddening misty march. The people in the village were afraid. There was danger everywhere around them: wild animals killed their cattle, infectious diseases killed their oldest people and youngest babies, plagues of insects ate their fruits, ghosts hunted them during the night and even Mother Nature did her best to destroy the crops on their fields by sending heat waves and ice ages and thunderstorms and dryness whenever she wanted.

"We'll need help.", the people said.

One little boy, a boy named Stu, had an idea: "My grandfather told me stories about the old ages when people had a Dragon to help them and protect them. Perhaps we should find ourselves a Dragon too..."

"Pfff. Stories. Fiction. Things they tell little boys to make them sleep.", the people said.

"You never had a grandfather who told you stories? Stories are important, you know. You can learn a lot from them. This story started with the people who went up the mountain and came back with a Dragon's egg. Who wants to come with me?", Stu asked.

Stu's mother ended the story: "Stuart Pitt! What are you doing? Are you trying to escape when you should do your homework, wash the dishes and clean the floor?" She grabbed Stu at his ear and dragged him home.

Stu was gone, but his story helped the others to think. They took a seat along the campfire, threw some old stories by Ronaldo7 into the flames, so the fire burned high enough to scare the wild animals in the woods, and started to discuss the idea of Stu: "When we do nothing, we will all die. At least it's an idea. We can try it. We can send some brave men and hope they'll find the solution. Does anyone have a better idea?"

Nobody had a better idea, so they decided to go for the Dragon's egg. Four strong young men went up the mountain. They travelled for a full week, fighting vultures, suffering severe cold, moving along the border of exhaustion, but... they succeeded. On DevilsPeak, they found a Dragon's nest, deserted, with one egg in it. Carefully they put the egg in a backpack and returned to the village.

The people were excited. Everybody helped to take care of the egg and one month later the miracle happened: a little Dragon was born. Everybody had his own opinion about a name for the Dragon, so they fought a while about it and finally decided to call him Dragon, just like that.

The Dragon was healthy, strong and above all he was wise. Dragons learn how to speak when they grow inside the egg. They speak Egglish when they are born. His first advice was: "If the forest and its animals scare you so much... Why don't you start cutting trees? You can use the wood to build houses and bridges and tools, you can burn it in a big campfire to scare off the wild animals, and the wild forest will be further away with every tree you cut."

The people were excited. This idea of getting a Dragon was the solution for everything. They spoke about it with the Dragon, and the Dragon said: "The problem is that you have lots of ideas, but you keep forgetting them. You should write them down. I will teach you how to make pencils and paper out of the wood of the trees, and I will teach you how to write and read too."

The excitement of the people motivated them to do everything the Dragon said. They worked and learned and the dangers of the old days disappeared. In the old days, foxes robbed ten chickens per night and wild lions killed ten cows per day, but that hardly happened now. The wild animals smelled that there was a Dragon in the village and they started to pick other supermarkets for their everyday shopping. The people thought that it was a good gesture to prepare one chicken and one cow per day for the Dragon, so he would not be hungry and grow bigger.