Chapter Thirteen: Lux And The Kids

AHSOKA TANO

The moment Ahsoka came out of hyperspace and caught sight of Cialone on the horizon, she felt as if a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

Taking her attention away from the controls for a moment, she turned to glance back at Oora. The Ithorian woman was in one of the seats set into the shuttle she had borrowed from Phoenix Squadron, her son and Alora asleep on her lap.

Ahsoka reached out with her mind, hoping to sense that of her husband. By all rights, the distance that usually existed between them should have pulled them apart by now. But against whatever odds presented themselves, it served only to bring them closer and to strengthen the bond between them. It made every moment they were able to share with each other all that much more special.

Theirs was a love that could weather any storm, and thrive even when they couldn't be in one another's arms.

She could almost get close enough to touch him, but the reach of her abilities fell short just before their minds could meet. It would only make their reunion in person that much sweeter, she supposed.

Ahsoka took the ship through the atmosphere and keyed in her clearance codes, hyperaware of everything she did and everything that was going on around her. As she pulled the ship in for a landing, she caught sight of the tall figure of a man with dark hair waiting for her, and it took all her self-control not to run out of the ship towards him.

She disengaged the ship's systems with a calmness that belied just how excited she was. She extended her hands to take one baby, but Oora didn't need the help: she took one in each arm and carried them deftly to the door.

As Semm and Jinoyar came to greet Oora and the two children, Ahsoka excused herself with a promise that she would meet up with her later to make sure she was settling in all right. Her eyes met Lux's eyes, and she broke into a run.

Ahsoka threw her arms around him, a smile on her face. He pulled her close, pressing a dozen kisses into her shoulder. She tucked her face into the crook of his neck, exhaling a breath she hadn't even known she had been holding.

True to his name, simply being close to Lux made her feel like rays of warmth were washing over her, carrying all her troubles away to a place where they held no sway over her and leaving a soft, comforting glow in their place.

"I'm so happy you're back," Lux said. He kissed her tenderly on the lips, and she responded in kind, cupping his face in her hands. Despite the fact that it had only been two weeks, Ahsoka had missed him terribly, and being able to hold him in her arms and press her lips to his again was wonderful.

"It's good to be back." A soft laugh escaped from between Ahsoka's lips, but then, her expression sobered. "Force, every time I come home I feel like it gets even more unbearable to leave you behind," she told him, hugging him tighter.

"Please tell me you can stay with us longer this time," he whispered, rubbing his thumb over her cheekbone.

She ducked away, not wanting to meet his gaze when she knew she couldn't give him the answer he wanted to hear. "I don't know," she answered honestly. "But by the stars, I hope we can at least get a month without missions. I can work my listening posts and the intelligence network from here easily – it's where I have to get involved in the Rebellion's dealings personally that we run into problems."

"Take a leave of absence."

"Lux, you know I can't do that. The Rebellion needs me."

"And the kids need their mother. I need their mother." Lux cupped her face in his hands, looking into her eyes. "I need her more than she realizes."