Chapter Two: Enough To Be Thankful For

AHSOKA TANO

Upon receiving clearance from the local Imperial authorities – the operative on the comm didn't bother to ask even half the usual questions, further reinforcing what a good choice this planet was for the Rebellion's base of operations – Ahsoka pulled her A-wing into a landing cycle over a nondescript series of adjoining hangars in the spaceport sector of Garel City, lining it up neatly alongside its fellows.

She hopped out of the starfighter, doing a quick once-over of the screens and displays as she closed the canopy to make sure everything was in order. Then, extending her senses to the surrounding area to make sure it was safe, she dropped her heavy mental shields and touched her mind to that of Kanan Jarrus briefly in greeting.

As she walked into the next hangar over where the Ghost was docked, Kanan reached back with the mental equivalent of a nod. A moment later, he came down the walkway of towards her.

"This is unexpected," he said. "Don't get me wrong; it's always good to see you, but... usually it means there's trouble."

"What I have to say is Jedi business," Ahsoka told him.

"Then I guess I qualify." Kanan smirked, and, although he had taken after his mother more than Enarion Jarrus Dume, Ahsoka was suddenly struck by how much he looked like Lux.

Ahsoka chuckled. "You qualify more than I do."

She bit her lip as the words came out of her mouth. Although she had told Kaya Ti Areeko time and time again that she wasn't truly a Jedi Knight, the Padawan Learner had been adamant that the bond they had formed to one another in the Force, especially in the short time they had been working alongside each other, was not something to be ignored.

So what if she hadn't had all the training? Leaving the Order had been her choice, and she could manage just fine as she was. But no choice was without consequences. The regret had stayed with her all these years, and for some reason, lately she had been seeing Anakin's face in her head, frozen in disbelief and cloaked in the shadows of unbearable sadness, a lot more than usual. She had to remember that it was in the past. Even if he hadn't forgiven her, he still cared about her...

Wherever he was now.

Not much was said as they made their way back to Kanan's quarters. Ahsoka had enough to think about without making conversation as it was, and she sensed Kanan did as well. Although she hid her thoughts well, for what had to be the thousandth time in the last few months, she wondered about telling him.

It would be so easy, just to pull him aside sometime when the rest of the crew was busy with their duties elsewhere, and explain to him in a hushed whisper that he was not alone. After all, technically, Kanan was still her brother-in-law. Through marriage, she had the same responsibility to watch over him and the same right to guide him as she saw fit as Lux did.

She shook her head, exhaling softly. No, she told herself. That's Lux's choice to make. Not mine. If he decides to wait a little longer to tell Kanan the truth about their family ties, I won't get involved.

"Even if getting involved is what I do best," she added under her breath.

Kanan glanced at her out of the corner of his eye. "Sorry?"

"It's nothing."

She was glad Kanan had decided not to ask. Because if he had, she didn't know what she would have told him.

As they finally turned the hallway into his room, Ahsoka pushed the button to close the door and turned towards him. "I've been monitoring transmissions from Mustafar," she said, crossing her arms, "to find out more about the Sith Lord."