Illegal

If something doesn't have color without light, does that mean light is color? Does anything really have color, or is it just light and your eye?

If no one can hear you scream in space because there is no air, are you still screaming? Are screams made of air?

If friction and heat didn't exist, like in all basic theoretical physics thought experiments, what would happen to this multiverse? Nothingness? Darkness and cold?

It was the third day of spring break. Third day of treading the thin line between annoyance and insanity. I spent most of my time in my room, either alone or with Tag. It was always more boring alone.

If darkness was the absence of light, does darkness exist without light? Does light exist without darkness?

In the middle of my thinking nonsense, Tag appeared in my window, which was open to let in the spring warmth. "Hey, what's up?" he asked.

"Thinking about theoretical stuff again," I said.

"Like what would happen if I had to go to Itex without you?" he asked, his usual humorous twinkle in his eyes. Since my parents turned down my offer to get myself out of this screwed up system and into a world where I would actually be able to live in, Tag had really be bugging me about leaving him to go there alone.

"I mean, Harriet will be going, and Jost said he might be approved, but it won't be the same without you," he complained. "Wouldn't you even try to convince your parents?"

"Tag, they said no. Twice. You know how my dad's like," I sighed. "I'm so happy you get to go, though." I put on a brave smile for him. Besides, he did just cycle from his house in the Worker's Circle to my house in the Sterling Gates.

"Do you think my persuasion powers will help?" Tag asked, a mischievous grin spreading across his features.

"Tag, you know what my parents think of you," I retorted. He smirked and stuck his tongue at me.

Suddenly, three knocks came from the door. "Hey Ame, open up," Johana said. "Mom wants to talk to you."

"Go away, you jerk," Tag said. "Nobody loves you!" I clamed my hand firmly on Tag's mouth, all but too late.

"Tell Mom I'm coming," I shouted. I hoped Johana didn't hear the difference between Tag's voice and mine. Fat chance.

"No," Johana said. "I'm going to tell Mom that you've got a boy in your bedroom."

"You know we're not like that!" I protested, my voice scared and desperate. If Johana told Mom, she'd tell the council, and the council would arrest me. People who were not in the matching couldn't date, and though Tag and I were just friends, the council would never believe me. I wasn't even average.

"Bye, lovebirds," Johana sang, rushing down the stairs. I was dead. And I hadn't even done anything wrong.

"Tag, get out," I whispered. Tag nodded and swiftly jumped out my window onto my trampoline. I rushed over and quietly locked the window shut.

Footsteps marched upstairs soon after, followed by Mom's angry voice. "Unlock Amery's room door. Now!" My door clicked and Mom rushed in. She stared at the empty chair next to my bed and my closed window.

"Johana said there was someone in your room," Mom said. Her face didn't look nearly as angry as I thought I'd be.

"You know what Johana thinks of me," I said causally, my heart beating in my throat.

"I don't care about what Johana thinks of you," Mom said, taking the empty beanbag that Tag had occupied just minutes ago. She didn't seem to notice. "I want to talk to you about careers."

"What is there to say?" I asked. "You're not going to help me get out of it, anyway."

Mom sighed. "Your father wouldn't agree to it. He still believes you can make something of this life, of the system."

"He doesn't believe they'll kill me," I said flatly. I'd always known that was true. My dad always thought I was normal, like my siblings. Until middle school, Dad told me I could do anything. When seventh grade rolled around, he couldn't delude himself anymore. Neither could I.

"No. He believes in you," Mom insisted. "He believes you'll get better."

"But I won't!" I said. "I've never been able to do any of the things you al can do!" I'm not smart!"

Mom grabbed my hand reassuringly. "No Ame, you're smart, just not in the ways this city finds important," she said, taking a deep breath. "What I am about to suggest is very illegal, but I believe it is the only way."

"Mom, did you just say illegal?" I asked. "Are you serious?" When my mom's reaction didn't change, I added, "What are you suggesting?"

"Join Tag on the bus. I can forge documents and get you out," Mom whispered. "Once you leave Diego, our laws don't apply. You'll be free."

"But I won't ever be able to come back," I said. "How will I live? Will I ever see you again?"

"It won't matter," Mom insisted. "You'll be alive. As long as that's true, we'll find a way."

"Thank you, Mom," I said, squeezing her hand. "What are Terrik and Johana going to think of this?"

"I'm not telling them," Mom said, letting go of my hand. "But you better start preparing. They'll be leaving on the last day of school."

"Okay." I wondered how I would break the news to Tag without it spreading.

"Good luck, Ame," Mom said, kissing my forehead. "Live out there." She closed the door quietly and Johana's voice peaked up, but I didn't listen. There were things on my mind that were way more important.

If this worked, I could potentially never see my family again.