CHAPTER 9: HENLEY

My classes dragged on and by the end of the day, I couldn't see straight. Part of that was due to leaving my glasses in Gigi's purse. I was listening to my mother drone on about the neighbor stealing one of our trash cans. She was convinced Mrs. Sloan was out to get her because she believed my mom had flirted with her husband.

"Mom, I have to go. My battery is dying."

"You should keep your phone charged. How am I supposed to get ahold of you if there is an emergency?"

"Like someone stealing our trash can?" I asked a little bitchier than intended. "I'll have the waste management people bring us a new one. Do you have their number?"

The phone was silent for a moment. "I think I forgot to pay the bill."

"Mom," I whined as I looked around. "Okay, how much do we owe?"

"Well, it's twenty a month... and we owe for three or four months."

I squeezed my eyes closed as a stabbing pain began to emanate from my temples. "They came and picked up the can because you didn't pay the bill, mom. Mrs. Sloan isn't out to get you."

"You haven't seen the way she looks at me."

"Mom, I have to go."

"Okay, I'll send you the number for the garbage company. Love you."

"You too," I sighed as I ended the call, cursing under my breath. How the hell was I going to come up with the money?

My phone rang again with Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto as I made my way across campus toward the dorm.

"What did you do last night?" Gigi asked.

"Hello to you too," I said dryly.

"Hello. What the hell happened with you and Lucas last night?" Her question caught me off guard.

"You know I didn't do anything, Gigi." I rolled my eyes and pushed the button for the elevator.

"Don't give me that. He was eye fucking you all night. Then he went all Incredible Hulk on that guy."

I laughed as the doors to the elevator opened. Standing in front of me was Lucas. His ocean-colored eyes lit up when he saw me, and for a second, I forgot how to breathe.

 His ocean-colored eyes lit up when he saw me, and for a second, I forgot how to breathe