Feeling the advance warnings of an imminent attack, Llandry fumbled in her bag for her tonic. Devary's eyes flicked in her direction as she drank, heedless of his observation, but he didn't enquire. She hid the bottle away again and slumped back into her seat, trying to breathe slowly. She had been mistaken in thinking she could achieve anything by her rebellious journey into Draetre. Her presence - her mistakes - had only destroyed Devary's errand and brought death to two people - and she had almost got herself captured in the process. She had nothing to offer, no skills, no special knowledge, not even sufficient strength to handle herself without disintegrating into a heap of frayed nerves. She would have to admit defeat, accept her reincarceration at home until the istore craze had died away. The thought was severely dispiriting.

   It occurred to her, belatedly, that the carriage was moving at a slow pace that didn't fit at all with Devary's apparent urgency not long before. She caught his eye.

   'Shouldn't we go a little faster? It could take a week to get home at this rate.'

   'We don't want to attract any undue attention,' he replied. 'At the moment we are merely one of many hired carriages travelling through the city. If we were to fly along at a dramatic pace, we would make ourselves conspicuous. We will travel faster when we reach the open road.'

   This explanation made sense, but Llandry's nerves would not be soothed by it. She spent a nervous hour as the carriage ambled through the town to the northern gate and finally picked up speed beyond. Their route was to take them up the Coach Road a long way north from Draetre, and then west and back southwards into Glinnery. It was less direct, but nonetheless faster than their pedestrian journey of only two days before.

   They travelled all day, putting up at an inn that night. Before sunrise the next day they were back in the carriage. Devary looked as though he hadn't slept the night before; she supposed he had been keeping watch. She hadn't slept much either. They were well out on the Coach Road now, passing through the densely forested hills through northern Nimdre, and the pace was much faster than the day before; so much so that Llandry forgot her misery in the sheer physical discomfort of being bounced, jolted and shaken to pieces hour after hour. She felt that it was deserved.

   As they entered Glinnery the wide Coach Road ended and the route became narrow, steep and winding, wholly unsuitable for large vehicles. They were obliged to abandon the carriage in favour of forming a mounted party. One guard rode ahead, two behind, and a few more maintained their station on the wing overhead. Devary was mounted on the largest, strongest nivven, and Llandry was set behind him. She spent several more hours with her arms wrapped around his waist and her cheek resting against his back, clinging to him as they journeyed on at speed.

   For a time they were able to maintain a brisk pace, but eventually the roads became so narrow and twistingly unpredictable that they had to slow down. The way became increasingly difficult after that, and their progress painstaking. At length the bright Glinnery sunlight grew muted and the softly-lit dusk hours came on. The guard riding at the head of the party reined in and held up his hand.

   'I'd hoped to reach the Sanfaer house before the end of today, but we aren't going to make it.' He was obviously chagrined - and worried. 'The nivvens are exhausted. We'll have to stop here for a few hours.' He dismounted and the rest of the party followed suit. Llandry winced as she swung down to the ground, her stiff legs threatening to buckle beneath her. She was grateful for Devary's strong grip on her arm, keeping her upright.

   'Miss Sanfaer, please stay with Mr. Kant. I've sent ahead for help. We should expect to see another company arriving within two, maybe three hours.'

   Devary frowned. 'Is that necessary? There's been no sign of any pursuit at all. Has there?'

   The Captain glanced at him, saying nothing. Llandry understood: more had occurred than had been apparent, but nobody wished to speak of it before her.

The Draykon Series (1-3)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें