Chapter 17-The Dance of the Elven People

Start from the beginning

The prince thought for a moment.
"Maybe a sister, an aunt, or...." he looked off to the other side of the ballroom. "A sister." He said, and the two smiled at each other.
Legolas stood up straight and held out his hand.

"May I have another dance my sister?" He asked, and Catalina took his hand.

"Of course brother." She caught him in a headlock and ruffled his hair. He laughed and did the same to her.

"Does Thor do that to you?"

"Too much. I'm happy to have someone younger than I to do it to," Catalina allowed Legolas to spin her around.

"We'll have to do this again before you leave." Said Legolas as he let her go.

"Before I leave?" Catalina suddenly realized how soon she would be going home. "Oh, why did you have to remind me?"

Catalina knew she would be sad to leave. Mirkwood had become a second home to her, and besides, there was still the mystery of her wings to figure out. She couldn't leave just yet.

"Princess Catalina?" Queen Valadhiel entered the ballroom, surprised to see Legolas.

"My lady?" Catalina nodded to the queen.

"I was about to ask where Legolas was-"

"Mother, I thought you went to the other side of the kingdom." King Thranduil emerged from behind his mother.

"You were looking for me Father?" Legolas stepped forward.

"Yes, but I believe the matter has been solved."

"What were you coming here for then?"

The king gave no specific answer, but looked over at Catalina.

"My lady what are you doing here?"

Catalina shrugged, "dancing."

Legolas's eyes brightened and he went over to the queen.

"When have you danced last?"

The queen shook her head, "a few thousand-"

"Give me your hand," Legolas waved for the orchestra to start, and he pulled the queen along with him, taking everyone by surprise.
He soon came back, finding that Catalina and the king were still watching. He pushed Catalina into the king, and pranced away with the queen just as the music changed and became fast. Catalina blushed, and wondered if Legolas actually viewed her as a sister.

"Dance Ada!" Legolas called as the king and princess tried to recover from the embarrassment.

King Thranduil looked down at Catalina, and the princess shrugged.
The music slowed, so King Thranduil led Catalina to where Legolas and Valadhiel were dancing, and they joined in.

Catalina smiled, not sure whether to be surprised or happy. The king did not seem the type to dance, yet here he was, swaying with her to the music.

And as the music sped up once again, Catalina let the king lead her as they joined Legolas and Valadhiel in a square dance of sorts. And for the first time, Catalina saw a smile cross the king's face. Indeed, smiles are contagious, and Catalina soon found herself smiling too.

Thranduil's arm wrapped around her waist, and they stepped in sync to the music. And when it all ended, Catalina was a bit sad to stop. But she knew better, so as the king and his mother headed back to the throne room, Catalina smiled and allowed Legolas to teach her the remaining skills of Elven Dance.

********

The winter came, and time became more abundant. The hours passed slowly, and Catalina cared not for the snow anymore since the 'incident' years before. She began reading more, and she spent long hours with Legolas in the ballroom.

One particular night though, Legolas did not come to the ballroom. Catalina waited, but he never showed. Then, the door opened and the Elven King stepped in.

"Are you waiting for Legolas My Lady?" He asked.

"Yes My Lord, do you know where he is?"

"I do," he said. "He won't be able to dance tonight. I apologize."

Catalina shrugged and stood up, preparing to leave.

"You won't mind if I take his place tonight, do you?" The king held out his hand, unsure at first.

"I suppose not," Catalina shrugged again and took his hand.

He led her slowly to the middle of the ballroom, doing an Asgardian waltz that Catalina was familiar with.

"You don't like to square dance do you my lord?" Catalina asked, getting slightly bored and feeling awkward inside his embrace.

"Only to music; otherwise I would rather not." He replied, and Catalina nodded. "Is that what you wish to do?"

"No no, it's alright my lord, I was just asking."

They continued in silence, and as the light from the enormous windows began to fade, a picture flashed infront of Catalina's eyes. She was dancing with the young elven man, his chin resting on top of her head and his arms wrapped around her waist. Her arms were wrapped about his neck, and he leaned down and kissed her. Then it was gone.

"Thranduil...." she whispered, and the king looked down at her, surprised at the mention of his name without a title before it.

"Yes my lady?"

Catalina shook her head and looked down.

"What is wrong?" The king's finger touched her chin and lifted it up.
Another image rushed passed Catalina's eyes as he looked at her: there were tears in the young elf's eyes, as he looked at her. Then it was gone.

"Catalina," the king's hand cupped her jaw.

"Nothing," Catalina pulled away as she saw his figure change from past to present again.

"Something is wrong, what is it?" The king was holding her now, his arms keeping her close.

Catalina looked up at him once more, but saw only him.
"Where have I seen you before?" She asked.

The king was taken aback for a moment, "what do you mean?"

"I've seen you before this. When?" She leaned closer to him, trying to make sense of it all. He had answers; she knew it.

The king didn't answer. He looked down at her, his eyes staring into hers. His hands held on to her and began pulling her closer. He leaned towards her and his lips touched hers.

The kiss startled the princess, her cheeks flaming and her heart racing, but his kiss felt familiar, it felt right. She let him linger, but as he pulled away, she stepped back.

"I'm sorry princess, I don't know what came over me..." he shook his head, trying to recover himself, and restrain the urge to kiss her again.

Catalina nodded and began walking away, now more confused than ever. Where had that all come from? Why didn't he answer her? What was this new feeling inside her chest? All of it irritated Catalina, but she decided that nothing more could be done at the moment.