Chapter Eight

"Hey Pitt!" Liz greeted me as she enveloped me in a hug. I closed my eyes and held her close for a moment, because I always found her presence soothing.

"Howdy Liz!"

She chuckled at my greeting, pulling away to look at me with critical eyes. I briefly thought of Alison earlier and how she'd been able to pick up on the fact that something was amiss. Liz wasn't aware of the circumstances of the downward spiral she'd witnessed, so I didn't think she'd be able to pinpoint it.

The edges of her mouth tipped up moments before she ruffled my hair. "You look much better than when I saw you last. I'm glad, because you had me worried."

"Yeah, well I feel much better than when I saw you last. How's Chris?"

I watched her eyes get all distant and starry eyed. "He's great," she smiled, "really great."

Someone snorted in a way that wasn't at all reminiscent of Vivienne's snort and I instantly knew who it was.

"What are we chopped liver?" She asked. "You don't even bother to ask about us anymore?"

Looking around Liz, I noticed two figures that I hadn't before and sent them a placating smile. "What's goin' on?"

Crystal, the voice of accusation, stood next to her boyfriend with her arms crossed and an eyebrow raised expectantly. As usual, she was rocking the rocker style and she'd dyed her hair for the millionth time since I'd met her. It was purple and black this time and I wondered what inspired the change.

"What's up Short Round?" I teased, using the nickname I'd stolen from Indiana Jones.

She grinned back at me and came up to give me a hug. "For the record," she said pointing at Sam, "only Pitt is allowed to call me that. So don't even try."

Sam put a hand to his heart and tried his best to look hurt. "You wound me! Just because there is an uncanny resemblance doesn't mean that'd I'd join the Short Round bandwagon."

Snickers were heard all around and I approached the last person I had yet to greet. "What's up Gabe? Are you keeping your sister and your girlfriend out of trouble?"

We clapped hands and brought it in for a back slap while he answered the affirmative.

"By the way she's not my girlfriend anymore," he added.

I took a step back, shocked that they weren't together anymore, because I had never doubted their relationship. My gaze shifted back and forth between the two and I briefly wondered how that would affect Poetic Justice's dynamic. It was well known that Liz and Gabe were brother and sister, just as it was well known that Liz and Crystal were best friends. The idea that her brother and her best friend would break up had never crossed my mind. I was more or less speechless until the glint of a decent sized diamond caught my eye.

"You dirty bastards! You almost had me!"

Crystal looked at me funny before she brought up her hand in understanding. "I'm actually engaged to someone else."

If it were possible to be more surprised, I would have had a heart attack. "You too? What the hell is going on these days?"

Everyone looked at me curiously except for Alison, who was shooting daggers at me.

"I'm joking you know..." she trailed off, her eyebrows furrowed together. "I thought you of all people would have got that." She chuckled. "Besides who the heck would I have met in the last two and a half months that I would possibly say yes to, other than maybe Chris Evans?"

"Or Jensen Ackles," Liz interjected.

"No... that's your man. Chris Evans is mine."

"What about me?" Gabe frowned.