"Hey guys!" She said closing the distance between us. We both said hi back.  "Jackie can I talk to you?"

Jackie looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders.  I took the hint and muttered something about finding Levi before parting ways.  I navigated through the crowds of people, skipping the elevators for the stairs.  I technically was allowed to use the elevator now but I was stubborn and not ready to admit that maybe it was the better option, just like the oxygen. I took a deep breath at the top of the stairs, staying close to the railing just in case. 

"MACI!" Levi's voice came from somewhere in the chaos on the stairs.  I stopped, looking around and taking the chance to rest.  "What are you doing?" Levi asked reaching my side.  "Why didn't you take the elevator?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "I feel fine. Where are you going?" I asked, knowing he didn't have a class on the floor above. 

He ran his hand through his hair, grabbing my books from me.  Together, with Levi's arm around me, we started back down the stairs. "I was looking for Jackie."

"Emma beat you to it." I said.  "What's going on?"

He swallowed hard, shaking his head, "I might have accidently pissed Greg off."

"How?" I asked.  I could feel my heartbeat increase and my lungs tighten a little as we turned for the second flight of stairs. 

"He overheard a conversation I was having with Emma this morning." He answered.  I didn't say anything knowing he'd continue if I just waited.  "Emma asked if Jackie and I hooked up while we were dating."

I raised my eyebrows, I knew that Jackie and Levi had feelings for each other and I knew that they had that one kiss and had probably kissed again.I didn't however think that they had slept together. 

"What?" I managed to stutter. 

"I know. But Greg overhead us." He said.

"Is that why Jackie hasn't seen Greg all morning?" Things were starting to fall into place.  Levi nodded his head.  I let out a sigh, my frustration coming out in my voice.  "So what was your big plan?  Rush up to Jackie and explain everything and have her somehow understand and forgive you?"

He dropped his eyes to the floor as he walked.  "I hadn't gotten that far."

"Maybe it'd be better if you just take a step back from both of them for a minute.  Let the dust settle you know?" I said a little gentler.  We walked in a silence for a few minutes, my lungs thankful when we reached the last step.  "How'd Emma take it?"

Levi shook his head, "She was awesome about it.  Really, I don't even get it.  I've screwed up so many times and yet she just keeps forgiving me."

"She must really love you then." I said.  I felt Levi brace next to me.  I knew my words were going to take him off guard.  He had been so centered on redefining himself when he started school and then my cancer came back and then he couldn't let go of Jackie even though it was apparent Emma was his perfect compliment.  He hadn't even realized that Emma was so patient with him because she was falling in love with him.

"Ya think?" He finally asked.

I nodded my head.  I knew that my words would consume his mind for a while allowing the Jackie and Greg dilemma to take a backseat for a minute.  Levi was a little like a walking disaster when it came to relationships.  He latched on hard and made decisions blindly.  And then once he realized his decisions weren't great he tried to pull everything apart and rebuild it.  Sometimes all he needed to do was give everyone some time, including himself.   

Surviving Cancerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें