Chapter 1: What could go wrong?

Hey guys, beautiful_psychos here I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to read this Wattpad story, even though this is my first one ever written. There may be mistakes along the way, but I love constructive criticism. Thank you, and enjoy!

                                                                                                                                                                                                        ♡♡♡

Chapter 1: What could go wrong?

They say that it isn't a major disease. That I can be cured. That I'll be able to play softball again, that I can live up to the age of 55 the latest. My parents were ecstatic, but I was not.

I knew that there were lies behind the doctor's smiles, the way they gently moved my body like I was going to break, the way they stiffly glanced around my room as if I wasn't going to exist any longer. Yet they were unaware of the pair of 10-year old eyes following their every move.

I was 8 when I was diagnosed with leukemia, which is a type of cancer of the blood and bone marrow, and the victim suffers from abnormal blood loss from just a tiny injury and a significant decrease in the amount of white blood cells being produced in the body.

My parents spent every penny paying for checkups, hospital bills, doctors, and my mom even quit her full-time job as an on-call nurse just for me. My dad drained his work funds so I can stay in a private section of the hospital.

Whenever I look into my parent's eyes, my 10-year old self would believe that I'm a burden. My mom could have been a model in New York if it wasn't for me.

And don't get me started in elementary school. I had friends, if that's hard to believe, before my diagnosis. The day after my parents whisked me to the clinic was when everyone dispersed. People whispered behind my back, teachers excluded me from class activities, and I was alone. That's when I decided, as a child, that I wanted to be home schooled.

One day, my parents took me in for my routine check-up. The doctors seemed overjoyed when they walked in through the door.

They sat me down and said, "There may be a cure."

I for one couldn't believe it. If there is a cure, then it's going to cost more than BOTH my parents paychecks combined.

"But it requires you three to fly over to Los Angeles and settle in. Doctors there are experts at treating this, but it does cost more then expected," they said.

I knew it. I was about to object, knowing my parents wouldn't go along with this idea, since flight and everything would be too much. But my mom said happily, "We'll take it."

♡♡♡

7 years later

"Sweetie, it's time for you to take the test," my mom called out.

"Alright," I yelled back, swinging my legs over my bed and onto the ground. I paused my playlist and shuffled into the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, slightly humming a tune. I spit out the toothpaste and leaned into the mirror.

I made a face. My long brown curls created a bird's nest on top of my head. Under my natural hazel eyes were bags as a result of my insomnia.

Attractive, I thought to myself. I sighed and quickly hopped into the shower, cleansing my body. I stepped out, wrapping myself in a fluffy white towel I grabbed from the tub rack. I walked out and shuffled through my drawers, finally deciding on some dark blue jeans and a plain white sweater with some Converse. I quickly pulled my damp hair into a ponytail and ran down the stairs.

"Morning mom, dad," I said quickly, grabbing an apple from my kitchen counter and running into the office.

I'm homeschooled, if you didn't already notice. I've finished most of my education online, and now I'll be officially a senior once I pass the state exam.

"I PASSED!" I shrieked excitedly, jumping up and down. My parents smiled at me, their eyes gleaming with happiness. It's rare that their expressions are care-free, so I try my best in everything if it allows them to put a true smile on their face.

"Congratulations hun. Now, eat your breakfast, which you oh-so-dearly skipped," my mom scolded lightly, sliding a plate topped with bacon and homemade pancakes doused in syrup towards me. I licked my lips and dug in.

My dad laughed at my eagerness, folding up his newspaper and picking up his briefcase. He gave my mom a quick peck on the cheek and ruffled my hair. I swatted his hand away, glaring at him playfully.

He grinned. "I'll see you all tonight, and Monica, remember to tell Angel,"

I looked at my mom, swallowing my food before asking, "Tell me what?"

My mom looked at me before licking her lips nervously. "Well..."

I gave her a look. She sighed before muttering something incoherently.

"Your father and I decided to put you in a public school," she said meekly, waiting for my reaction as if I was going to explode out of anger.

I looked at my plate, unable to process her words. A good 5 minutes must have passed before my mom lightly touched my shoulders. She looked at my expressionless face before she slumped in defeat.

"I knew it was a bad idea. What did I tell your father..." she began saying, looking through her bag.

"Mom," I said.

"Of course you wouldn't like the idea, you haven't been to a public school in so long."

"Mom."

"Oh dear, what if it happens again? No, let me call the princip-."

"MOM!" I screamed, finally getting her attention.

"Yes Angel?" she asked, tilting her head. I smiled widely before pumping my fist in the air.

"I'M GOING TO PUBLIC SCHOOL!" I yelped, dancing around the kitchen happily. My mom's jaw dropped, and she looked at me in disbelief.

"You want go to public school. But I thought..." she trailed off.

I stopped my dance before saying, "No one knows me here, mom. I'm away from the things that happened back then. I'll be fine."

She looked at me warily, before I sighed and gave her a quick hug.

"Really. What could go wrong?"

♡♡♡

First chapter complete! How do you guys like it? What do you think of Angel? This may sound cliche, but it gets better, trust. I'll try to update regularly, but since I just started this story, I might update daily. Comment anything you'd like to say, message me if you have any questions, etc. Hope you can vote and share! Stay tuned for more. By the way, if you have an idea of who you want Angel to be portrayed as, hit me up. Thank you!

Love,

beautiful_psychos