Eighteen.

~I'm sorry HelpChangeTheWorld you're probably going to want to cry after this chapter!~

Madeline and Chess strolled down the streets of Wakanda, arms linked together as they chatted and laughed. They had finally convinced T'challa to let them leave the mansion and go shopping, escaping the life of laying low for awhile to return to normality. Well, how normal to Underland creatures could be.

Bags were in both their grasp, filled with clothing, foods and accessories, it was just a normal shopping spree. With Madeline buying near to all the things that were in their bags and Chess having to suffer by carrying them.

"Madeline, I find this highly unfair that most of the items purchased are yours and I have to carry them" he stated, staying in rhythm of her walking as they made their way down the streets of Wakanda and passed the markets.

"Wanda wanted Mangoes!" Madeline cheered as she remembered, running over to a fruit seller and purchasing a couple of the exotic fruits before placing them in the bag, handing it to Chess and paying.

"Sorry Chess, you know you love me really" hatter grinned, her illusions magic cast once more so she was perceived as a normal woman.

"You're lucky I do" he grumbled but she definitely caught onto the small grin he was trying to hide.

"Whatever" she chuckled, punching his shoulder lightly as they ventured through the streets markets and dazzled at all the goods that were for sale.

"Mads, look at this" the human version of Cheshire Cat called, leading the Mad Hatter over to a stall selling jewellery.

He pointed to a particular piece of jewellery, a silver plated necklace that had a pocket watch connected to it an a tea pot charm.
Madeline marvelled at it, covering in amazement, and noticing Chess hand the seller the money claiming the piece as his.

"Huh?" Madeline breathed, watching as the piece was snatched from the table and placed around her neck, the clasp being delicately closed shut by blue haired friend.

It fell to just the starting point of her chest, the silver glinting perfectly in the sun to reveal the engravings on it. She lightly ran her hand across it, smiling softly before thanking Chess and linking her arm with his once more as they ventured away from the Market and back on to streets.

"Madeline? Do you miss it? Underland I mean?" Chess started a topic of conversation, wanting to know how his close friend felt.

"I guess so, the tweedles, the Bandersnatch, Nivens, the White queen. Everyone. But I missed the Avengers too, and I'm glad I came when I did. I'm also thankful for your accompaniment on this trip, I don't know what I would have done without you" she breathed, her free hand subconsciously rubbing at the necklace, a habit she knew would form.

"Is glad I came with you too Mads, I couldn't leave you alone in this world" he grinned, the two sharing a smile.

The moment was however cut short when a trigger sound rang through the streets, civilians instantly scattering for safety, not caring who got shot as long as it wasn't them next. Red evaded Madeleine's vision, sticky red liquid splattering across her forehead and cheek as horror filled her green eyes.

She watched as her first friends face twisted in agony, face going deathly pale as his legs shuttered beneath him.

"I'm sorry Madeline, I guess I will have to leave you after all" he croaked, arms going limps and the bags he once held dropping to the floor.

She was too petrified to speak, hoping this was all just a dream and she would wake up back at the mansion with Chess rolling around in her bed with his tail flicking about.

She darted her eyes up to where the bullet came from, catching the familiar glance of a white octopus symbol as the sniper sprinted away from the scene. She didn't care at the minute. She was losing her best friend.

His human form began to fade in blue dust and what replaced it was his striped feline form, limp on the ground. His eyes were closed, red coating the area near where his heart would be. There was now rise and fall of his chest, everything was still. Silent.

Madeleine's legs shook underneath her form, tears welling in her eyes.

"No, no, no, no, no" she muttered, slowly slipping to the floor in her knees.

"Cheeesssss!!" She screamed.

Her throat burning as her sadness filled the air and made people whoever was in hearing range stop and listen with there hairs stood on end.
Green magic spilled out from her clenched hands, floating up into the air and forming the blue sky into a gorgeous sight.

Sobs wracked Madeleine's body, whimpering and muttering the felines name as she held his paw in her hand.
Hiccups slipped her mouth every now and then and she took no notice to the sky above her. But the Avengers back at the Mansion did and a certain someone with the capability of flying came landing behind her.

He dropped to the floor, wrapping his arms around her waist and pressing her back to his chest. She noticed who it was instantly and responded by turning slightly and nuzzling her face into the crook of his neck. He didn't say anything, he just held her, letting her cry and sob to her heart content as the other arrived and cleared the scene away, most of them taking the bags and Steve gingerly picking up Chess' lifeless body.

"We're here for you...I'm here for you" he whispered.

"Thank you...Sam"

And she was greeted with a dreamless sleep as he picked her up bridle style and flew back to the mansion.

Safe, in his arms.