21%

The first and only thing I can think to do when I run upstairs and fall onto my bed is call Erica. Firstly because she's the only girl that comes to mind who I know well enough to talk to about something as personal as the boy I like not only taking me out on a date, but also ending it with a kiss. I don't tell Erica much as I call, but I tell her she needs to come over "straight away".

While I wait I run a hand through my hair, staring at my reflection in the mirror. My lips feel soft and my cheeks are rosy like a hot summers day. I smile, my grin stopping any thoughts from becoming too negative or pessimistic. I spend so long in the bathroom that it's only when my phone buzzes that I'm taken out of my personal space.

I respond to Erica's text by rushing to the front door, pulling it open and smiling when I'm greeted with her quizzical smirk.

"What's going on then?" She asks, following me into the living room.

She slips her shoes off while we both sit cross legged on the couch.

"I went on a date," I tell her, almost quietly. Not that I'm ashamed to admit this, it's just not been something I've had to talk about with anyone in the past – but it's something I can't hold back from in this moment.

"With Matty?" Her eyes light up but I furrow my brows.

"Matty?" I laugh, brushing off her comment, "No- a boy named Charlie. He doesn't live far from here."

"Charlie? I don't know a Charlie."

I roll my eyes, "he doesn't go to our school, he's home-schooled or something..."

"Right..." she drifts off in thought before quickly returning back to our conversation, "how was it?"

I grin, "It was great. He took me to the park and prepared all this food- and I'm aware as to how much I sound like the most typical teenage girl right now, but really it was nice. I just need to talk to someone about it."

"Is he cute?" she laughs.

"Very," I nod, "he doesn't seem British at all."

"So, he took you out... and? What else happened? What did you talk about? Did he kiss you?"

I can't help but smile at her final question, nodding briefly and looking down slightly.

"Oh my god- he kissed you?"

"Yeah- like," I roll my eyes, "For a short moment, but yeah."

Erica coos, a smile on her face but her brows still furrowed a little, "you'll have to introduce us."

I say that I will and she asks me a few more questions. I'm glad I have another girl to talk to about this, because in the past I'd only been laughed at whenever I attempted to discuss these topics with my friends. It's a big contrast, the way I'm treated by Matty and his friends in England, as opposed to how I had been treated in Los Angeles. Things are good right now, in this moment, and I'm trying my best to focus on that and not the past or overthinking the future.

It's still very difficult to not let my negative thoughts drown out the positive ones, but I try harder these days, more than anything. In between our conversation and switching positions on the couches and laughing, everything feels good. Erica invites everyone over in a group text, and we continue talking. She tells me about how she's kind of into Adam and that she hasn't even told Chelsea yet. I feel privileged, I tell her. She laughs. 

I'm not sure where my parents are, but by the sounds of it, neither of them are home. They don't come downstairs when George and Matty and Chelsea and Adam get here, and they certainly don't come downstairs when we've taken up the living room and are laughing loud enough to wake up the entire neighbourhood.