13%

"You told him to f*ck off? George!" Chelsea swats George's shoulder across the table as I laugh at the topic of conversation.

"Hey!" George's eyes suddenly sweep upwards behind me.

A large hand places itself on my shoulder and when I look to my side, Matty is beside me. He hadn't been in class this morning, and I texted him but never got a response. I scoot down the bench to make room for him on the end.

"Where've you been mate?" George asks, chewing on a french fry at the same time as I listen intently for a reply.

"Ah, slept in and couldn't be arsed to come in." Bullshit.

"How sweet of you to make it to lunch," Erica bats her eyes in Matty's direction and he rolls his eyes while I laugh.

"Hey," he nudges my arm with his elbow while he pulls an apple out of his bag.

"Hi," I smile.

"You seem to be in a good mood today," he points out and I nod.

The truth is, I am. After spending last night with Charlie watching movies and talking for hours, it was difficult to leave early the next morning to get to school. I hadn't been fazed by the fact that my dad didn't call to ask where I was, or that he'd even pushed me against the wall in the first place. All of that was in the past, where it would stay.

"I am," I tell Matty.

"I'd like to take credit for that."

Despite my good mood, the comment from Matty makes me feel a little guilty. While Matty did help, it was mostly my time spent with Charlie that eased my depressive mood. I smile back at Matty anyway, letting him have his moment.

The day continues as Charlie and I text back and forth and I try not to overthink everything. Matty walks me home with his arm wrapped around my shoulders, and despite the fact that we walk in silence; there is nothing odd or strange. Our silence is present and overall bearable, something I'd prefer to last longer than a short walk. Matty and I's silences seem to throw me into a rush of thoughts, unable to focus on one thing in particular so I think of nothing at all. I let my brain run its course of thoughts as we near my house.

As we reach my front gate, Matty looks up a little more and stops. I follow his gaze and see Charlie at my doorstep, looking at me intently. I wave and smile and as I expect Matty to walk further, he doesn't, and instead turns to me and embraces me in our usual hug.

"I'll see you tomorrow," he smiles and I nod.

"You don't wanna come inside?" I inquire, but Matty just shakes his head and starts walking away.

"I have stuff to do, but I'll call you later!" and almost instantly he's rounding the corner with his hands in his pockets.

I walk up the short path, letting the gate swing closed behind me as I greet Charlie properly as opposed to a simple smile.

"Hey," I say, reaching for the keys in my pocket.

"Hey," Charlie's response is quiet and distant as he stares at the gate swinging shut and the sidewalk behind me.

"You alright? Why are you here?"

"Who was that?" He completely ignores my questions, asking his own in response.

"Matty, a friend from school."

"You've never mentioned him," he states as I shut the door behind us and lean against the wall to swing my shoes off.

I shrug, "he's just a friend."

"Hm," Charlie hums, staring at the wall behind me but not looking at me.