Epilogue

In Ellie's opinion, the prom had been spectacular. She and Jasper had danced all night, and she was the happiest she had been in a year. Pulling into her driveway, she had full mind to invite Jasper in as a thank you for making her night perfect.

"You know, you have made this might fantastic, don't you?" Ellie asked, her eyes shining brightly.

Jasper was incredibly pleased to know that he was the reason that smile was resting on her lips. "I could only hope to make the rest of your life as fantastic."

Ellie grinned before pecking his cheek in a quick kiss. He was too cute. "I have no doubt of your ability to do so."

The corners of his lips tilted up as they made their way to her front door. As they neared the door, Jasper's ears perked up at the sound of music playing from within the house. He lifted an eyebrow, am amused smile on his lips, before asking his mate, "Did you leave music playing?"

Ellie shook her head, her brows knitting together and a frown pulling at her lips. She hadn't left anything on in her house. Pursing her lips, she questioned, "What is it?"

"I can hear music from inside of your house."

Ellie stopped in her tracks, her eyes widened. Snapping her head to look at Jasper, she asked, "What song?"

He furrowed his brows and listened closer, "I'll Be Seeing You. Billie Holiday."

Ellie's breath hitched, her thoughts swirling.

He'd found her.

He had found her and had somehow managed to get inside of her house.

"You need to leave," she said. Maker needed to make it out of this if nothing else.

"What?" he growled, eyes narrowed. "I'm not leaving you alone, especially not if he's here."

"It's in your best interest to go," she insisted. Jasper could feel her desperation.

"I'm not going to leave you," he said, eyes firm. "I'll never leave you."

"You don't understand," she said, tears threatening to spill over. "He'll kill you if you come with me. He's merciless."

"I don't care," said Jasper, not wavering once. "I'm not letting him hurt you."

Ellie looked to the door of the house, knowing she would have to face him or risk the safety of the town. She didn't want to turn, but she knew if he got his hands on her, he would find the best way to make her suffer and then change her. She had no doubt about that.

"We go in together," Jasper said, taking hold of her trembling hand.

Ellie released a shaky breath before nodding her head and taking a cautious step forward and turning the doorknob.

Jasper was right. As soon as the door opened, the sounds of the old classic filled her ears. It may have just been a song had it been anyone else, but for Ellie, it was her post coming to light. The vampire who turned her into the monster that she considered herself to be held a sincere fascination for the song. She almost considered it a personal calling card for him.

Stepping in, she found most of the lights were out as she had left them, but a small flicker of light caught her eye as she formed the corner into the living room.

The soft glow of candles flickered from corner to corner illuminating the room, reminding elite of darker times. Her eyes flitted across the area attempting to assess any damage before landing on a single white rose with a streak of red dripping down the side and onto her wooden floors.

"Blood," Jasper said, his nostrils flaring at the sweet scent it exuded, deepening the burning in his throat.

"Tainted innocence," Ellie said, understanding his message clearly. He had always loved the destruction of the innocent, and hers had always been his favorite.

Ellie walked slowly to the rose, and being careful not to pricy her finger on its thorns, gingerly plucked it up before her eyes settled on a folded up piece of paper with her name written on top in an elegant script.

Placing the rose back down, she took the letter within her fingers and shared a glance with Jasper before opening it.

My lovely Princess Eleanor,

I cannot express how proud I am that you have become exactly the person I intended you to be. You performed precisely the way I hoped you would when facing my hunter. I'm glad to know that your tendencies haven't changed as much as I feared.

Do not fret, my love, we'll be together sooner than you think.

Take care, Princess.

I'll be seeing you very soon.

Your Forever,

Jesse

The letter dropped from fingers floating to the floor shortly before her knees buckled, causing the blonde emissary to hit the ground with a resounding thud.

Her breaths short and labored, she turned to Jasper, clutching his arm in a vice like grip as fear radiated from her being.

"He's coming."