Chapter 7: The Doctor

"Sherlock, can I please come in?"

"No, John. It's my mind palace."

"But it's a playhouse-"

"Palace!" Sherlock snapped, poking his annoyed face out the plastic window. "Go play with the girls or something."

John grimaced at the giggling girls playing with dolls across the classroom. "No, I want to play with you!" He whined again. 

The tiny door opened, causing John's heart to skip a beat. Sherlock's head popped out with a smile. "Nope!" He chirped, and slammed the door in John's face.

The little boy bit his lip and fought back the tears springing to his eyes. This wasn't fair! Friends were supposed to play together, but all Sherlock wanted to do since they got back was be alone and "think". John grumbled and retreated to the empty costume corner. Really it was just a big bin shoved up against the wall. He shuffled half-heartedly through the messy outfits, pushing away princess dresses and knight armor. Finally, something interesting caught his eye.

 Only minutes later, the insistent knocking returned. "What do you want?" Sherlock barked, slamming his book shut in annoyance. "I was at my favorite part."

"Of what?" A muffled voice asked from outside his palace.

"The Hobbit."

"Wait, you can read?" John gasped in astonishment. Sherlock smiled, pleased that he had once again impressed his companion. 

"Of course I can!" He replied smugly, "I've been able to since I was three. It's quite easy, John."

"I'm not John," He huffed. "I'm a doctor."

"What?"

"No, you're supposed to say 'who?'"

"Ugh, fine. Doctor who?"

John giggled, and Sherlock groaned. "Go away, John. This is ridiculous."

"No, really! I'm a doctor! Look!"

Sherlock rolled his eyes and pushed open the door. John was sitting there with ruddy cheeks and tousled hair. A white lab coat was thrown over his uniform, and in his ears was a plastic stethoscope. He grinned widely. "See?"

Sherlock raised an eyebrow. "Just because you look like a doctor does not mean you are one. You are too young to have graduated from medical school, and you cannot be in the medical practice without a degree."

John's cheeks reddened. "Well I got a stefascope!" He sputtered, holding up the toy sheepishly.

"Stethoscope," Sherlock corrected. 

"Ya, whatever. It hears heartbeats!" John eagerly leapt forward and pressed the plastic on Sherlock's chest. 

"I don't hear anything!" John's eyes widened in alarm, "You don't have a heart!"

"It's a fake, you idiot." Sherlock shoved him away. John drew away, hurt etching his young features. Sherlock felt his stomach clench painfully. "Sorry." He muttered, looking away from his friend.

"It's okay," John gave a small smile and took Sherlock's hand. "C'mon, I'll show you where I got it!" He pulled the taller boy into the costume corner.

Sherlock peered into the bin curiously before letting out a triumphant holler. "Argh!" He crowed, shoving the pirate hat over his curls. "Walk the plank, you scallywag!" He ordered John.

John cocked his head in confusion. "There's no plank. We're in primary school."

Sherlock rolled his eyes. "It's a game, John. We're pretending."

John's eyes lit up. "Oh, okay!" He drew back in mock horror. "But I'm just a simple country doctor!"

Sherlock wrinkled his nose. "No, this is stupid. Why would I want to get a doctor off my ship?"

John shrugged. "I dunno. Maybe I diagnosed you with diarrhea or something."

"Nah, boring," Sherlock took off his hat and retreated back to the bin. "Let's be different characters."

"Superheros?" John asked, scrambling after Sherlock.

"There' no such thing as heros and villains." Sherlock said while rummaging through the costumes. "Every hero has a weakness, and every villain has a motivator."

"But... you're a hero," John whispered. 

Sherlock looked up to meet the boy's sincere eyes. "Don't make people into heros, John," He replied sharply. He loked back into the bin and let out a cry of delight. He put on a hood of red scales and plush horns. "RAWR! I'm Smaug!"

"Who's that?"

"The dragon in my book. Oh, and you could be Bilbo!" He shouted excitedly. "He's really short and has hairy feet! Perfect for you!"

"Hey!" John pushed Sherlock with a laugh, "He sounds weird!"

"No, but he's not!" Sherlock explained. "He goes on an incredible journey with some dwarves and a wizard to defeat Smaug!"

John's eyes lit up with wonder. "Whoa! That sounds amazing! I wish I could read that!"

"I'll read it to you!" Sherlock blurted out.

John looked as surprised as Sherlock felt by this kind offer.

"Okay!" John grinned, racing back into the playhouse. The boys crawled inside, squishing together in the tiny house. Sherlock rested the book on his knees, his shoulder next to John's head. The unfamiliar warmth of the boy next to him was oddly comforting, like sitting in front of a crackling fire. He smiled slightly and opened to the first page.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Sorry this was a filler chapter, but I just needed to write something fluffy in between "Hello My Old Heart". Too much angst! I hope you enjoyed the numerous fandom references. So... thanks for reading! Vote and leave a comment if you liked it! :D  ~Meg