Chapter 1: Sherlock

"I don't want to wear a tie!" Sherlock whined as Mycroft tugged the navy blue tie around his brother's thin neck.

"Nobody cares what you want," Mycroft said bluntly. "It's the rules."

Sherlock scowled, "Only grown men where ties. I'm only seven!"

"Well, maybe it is to make you look like a gentleman," Mycroft grimaced as Sherlock untucked his perfectly-iron shirt. Before Mycroft could catch him, the litte boy flew across the room.

"I am not a gentleman!" Sherlock crowed, "I'm a pirate!"

"Sherlock Holmes!" Mycroft huffed, "Stop acting like a child!"

"Your name is Mycroft, not Mumcroft!" Sherlock jumped around the room, dodging his brother's unsuccessful grabs.

"SHERLOCK!" Mother's heels rang down the hallway. Mycroft flashed him a now-you've-done-it look as Sherlock scrambled off his cluttered bedside table.

The door opened to reveal an agitated woman's face. Her dark hair was pulled into a tight bun over her cold grey eyes. She had on an expensive white blouse and a crisp pencil skirt, as if she were going to a business meeting. Her red lips were pursed as she looked down at her youngest son.

"For God's sake," she sighed. "It's the first day of school, and all I ask is you look presentable for your teachers."

Sherlock crossed his arms. "Why do I have to?" He pouted, "I can teach myself, you know. I don't need any stupid grown-ups to try to."

Mycroft scoffed, but was quickly silenced by Mother's death glare. She bent down to meet Sherlock at eye level.

"We need you to make some friends, Sherlock," she whispered. Sherlock looked down and fiddled with his tie.

"I dont want friends," he mumbled. Mother placed a perfectly-manicured finger under his chin, and his identical grey eyes met hers.

"You need friends, darling," she said. "And I promise you, they are the most important things to have. There is more to life than being clever." Sherlock considered this, but it made no sense. What was so great about friends? He was perfectly content on his own.

"Now finish up," Mother said, "Jeremy will drive you boys." Sherlock groaned. It was so boring to sit in the limo with their old, hacking chauffer.

"Why can't Father take us to school?" Sherlock cried. Mother's eyes flashed like a thunderbolt. She abruptly stood up and smoothed out her skirt.

"Your father is on a business trip," she replied sharply. "Please be ready in five minutes." She marched out of the room and slammed the door.

"Why is Father out on business again?" Sherlock wondered aloud, with a questioning look at Mycroft.

Mycroft rolled his eyes. "Oh, don't be so thick," he said as he packed his bookbag. "He's having an affair." He glanced up to meet his brother's blank look. "You have no idea what that is, do you?" He smirked like he always did when rubbing in the seven year age difference between the brothers.

"I know what it is!" Sherlock cried defensively, "I just need to remember." He dived under his bed and fished out his well-worn dictionary. He flipped to the A-section and quickly found the word "affair".

"I-I don't understand," Sherlock whispered as he looked up at Mycroft with wide eyes.

"Learn to," Mycroft replied flippantly, but his eyes were sad and shining with tears. "Let's go." He grabbed his bag and left the room in a hurry. Sherlock stood in the doorway. Mycroft was walking quickly down the long hallway, but he could hear his brother's sobs.

What was this that could get Mother and Mycroft so upset? Sherlock made a mental note to research "sex" and "infidelity" in the library when he got home. He followed his older brother into the gloomy darkness.