Chapter 11: Meeting at the Gym

Start from the beginning

Well, that was a lie. She wanted to know him too much.

And that made her feel bad about Rory, as if she was cheating on him. Then she missed Rory, almost feeling him hold her. She closed her eyes and rubbed her head. She couldn't deal with all this. It was too much.

"So does Rory. Which is why we are leaving this up to Julie." Muirgan said back. "Don't stir this up, Marisol. Everyone here can see what you're doing."

Marisol crossed her arms. "Fine. But you have to agree that another month is too long."

"We do agree on that." Muirgan nodded.

Nerida cut them off. "No. Kailen and I agree to give her more time."

"Well, Muirgan and I don't," Marisol stated flatly. "That's a tie."

Julie opened her eyes, watching in disbelief as these strangers tried to run her life. Wait a second, why was she just watching this? Yes these people still scared her, but she couldn't allow this to keep going on.

Muriel cleared her throat. "As her teacher, I'll break it. She isn't ready." She held up her hand as Muirgan and Marisol opened their mouths. "No. This isn't only about Rory and Luke. Don't forget that Julie has a choice here too."

But the elders continued to argue.

"Stop." Julie cut into the bickering.

No one paid attention. She felt a few tingles as anger surged through her.

"Stop." She said louder.

Everyone still ignored her. Heat pooled at her fingertips.

"Stop!" She jumped up, sparks trailed out of her fingers as she held her hands up.

There was silence. The elders stared at her wide–eyed. Even Muriel looked a bit taken aback. Yes, she had been controlling this around them all. She put her arms down, taking a deep breath. She didn't want to scare them, did she? Or were their attempts to control her because they were scared?

"I'll decide about Rory and Luke. It's my decision. When I'm ready, I will see each of them. That is all anyone needs to know. I have already said this to them."

"But—" Marisol said.

"No. I'm done listening to you. No one is fighting for me. You're all fighting for yourselves. I don't trust any of you, except Muriel." Julie closed her eyes, trying to calm down. Her fingers burned to release the energy inside. "You all want to use me or get something from me. I'm not yours to do this with!"

"You can't leave Rory hanging," Muirgan said. "He's suffering. How can you expect me to be silent about that?"

Julie stared at him. He seemed so sincere, but she knew he wasn't saying this for Rory. He wanted her in his family. A trophy. She was so tired of this.

Her control slipped. She aimed her hands in the air, lightning burned through in the gymnasium in a flash. The brief flash illuminated the shocked faces of the elders in stark relief. There was complete silence as the sharp smell of ozone filled the air.

"Julie, it's okay." Muriel came over to her. "I think they can see now that they need to stop pushing. It isn't helping anyone."

Julie turned away from her, unable to keep a smile off her face.

God, that felt good! The power and the release of the energy was a heady mix, almost like performing on stage.

The elders left in a hurry, all except Kailen. Julie smiled grimly. If she had known that throwing lightning around would make them scatter, she would have done it ages ago.

"Do you mind if I stay to watch?"

Muriel hesitated, looking at Julie, who frowned. "I think another time, when Julie will be prepared."

"Oh, okay." He drooped a bit and headed out after everyone else.

"Thanks. Kailen is a bit..." She hesitated.

"Intense." Muriel raised her eyebrow at her. "He's not a bad guy. He just is overly excited about new abilities. You're fascinating to him."

"Does he want to dissect me or something?"

Muriel snorted. "He wouldn't harm you, but you're not far off. Come on, let's practice some dancing to blow off some of the tension in here."

She smiled at her great–grandmother. "Anytime."

Authors Note: Hope you are enjoying so far! There's plenty more to come. If you check out the reviews for this book and the last one in this trilogy you'll see ;)

What do you think is going to happen?