Chapter 11: Meeting at the Gym

Comenzar desde el principio

Julie looked away. Was she giving up a relationship like she was developing with Muriel because of Lir? Look at what he had done to her. If he expected her to forgive him, how was Nerida any different?

"So, we are here today to check on your progress." Marisol said with a smile. "We know that we are asking a lot of you, Muriel, to condense months or years of training into weeks, but where is Julie now?"

Julie held her breath. Muriel had said she already had it mastered. How much was she willing to lie for her, even if she said she would help?

Muriel folded her hands in her lap. "There is still a lot to work on. Julie is very talented and has mastered how to pull up her second sight at will."

The elders all nodded. Kailen leaned forward. "That is fast."

"But, distraction right now might be a bad thing. We will need more time."

Muirgan frowned. "How much more time?"

"Yes," Marisol nodded. "Others learn in school with lots of distractions. Is she not able to control her feelings?"

Muriel sat up straight, glaring at Marisol. "You ask more of her than someone else. She is connected to two boys and cannot choose. None of us had that kind of pressure."

The elders looked at each other.

"I believe Muriel is right. Julie should have more time. We don't want to rush this." Nerida said softly. "We have all the time in the world."

Marisol snorted. "Really, do you want issues with the Forest Tribe? The longer this drags out, the worse it will be for everyone once she decides."

"Julie, have you decided anything about Rory and Luke yet? Do you want to see them?" Muirgan asked.

Julie gulped. Was this meeting more about Rory and Luke than her training?

Muriel waved a hand. "Julie has been concentrating on lessons with me daily. She hasn't had time to think about all that."

"Yes, yes. Let her have more time to choose between the boys." Kailen didn't notice or care that Marisol and Muirgan were glaring at him. Julie met his gaze, trying not to flinch back at the raw hunger she saw in his eyes. He was helping her, after all. What was with him, anyway?

He turned his gaze to Muriel, and Julie let out her breath. Kailen was intense, and she couldn't figure him out yet.

"I don't want to push you, but you know how much we all want to know about how she used Ike's energy to augment her own. That is unique—more unique even than her abilities. If it's something we can all do, can you imagine the possibilities?'

Muriel smiled brightly at him. "You have been a teacher in the past. Patience. I promise by the beginning of the school year we can focus on her abilities—without her accidently zapping someone."

Kailen sighed. "I guess that will have to be good enough."

"But the school year is another month away." Marisol said. "We can't keep the Forest Tribe dangling that long. They may demand Julie go with them. Or just take her."

"Only if they want a war with us," Muirgan retorted.

"I understand that, Muirgan, but the connection gives Luke certain rights. If he chooses to exercise them..." Marisol shrugged.

Wait, what? Were they saying Luke could take her from here?

Julie flinched. Luke made her all gushy inside, but she barely knew him. And what she did know didn't make her want to know him better.