Chapter 37 - Between Brothers

Start from the beginning

But that would mean I'd never meet Selene.

"Mother, why do you persist torturing me? Why prod at my conscience and torment me with guilt?"

I will always choose Selene.

As I'd done before, I entered the hunter's dream with my brothers and set off the slaughter of innocents. Their cries plagued my nonexistent soul.

I departed from that harrowing setting and set foot into another tunnel.

I found myself on a set of ascending steps. Each step had a different hue that changed from red to orange to yellow then green to blue to indigo the moment I placed my weight on it. I climbed the stairs and noticed after several minutes, that I'd been scaling an endless loop. I jumped off the stairs, looked back and realized I'd been on an upright labyrinth of steps. I shook my head at the unsolicited exercise.

I walked around and balked when I saw the white elephant I had repeatedly allowed to be butchered. This one was heading straight for me, probably intent to crush me beneath its mammoth feet. But it slowed down when it neared me and I noticed that even though its entire body was white, its ears were a vivid yellow, red, blue and black. The magnificent beast had butterfly wings for ears. It flapped its massive, colorful ears as it passed me.

I sighed in relief that it didn't finish me off. It had enough reason to.

Then I grinned when I realized how imaginative my girl was. Except that I'd never seen her use so much color. The entire expanse around me was vibrant.

I walked toward an elevated structure that looked like a vertical, spiral, pink shell of a decollate snail. This one had a door at the bottom and a small window at the top. It was a whimsical fairy tale tower.

I went in the tower and climbed the coral stairs. At the top of the stairs was a wide and unfurnished room except for a king-sized bed in the middle. It was a four poster bed, each column made of twisted licorice. There was a woman sleeping on the bed and the gossamer sheet barely covered her naked figure.

I knew her. Usually, her hair was tightly coiffed and pulled back from her face. This woman had a no-nonsense air about her and she rarely smiled. She was sophisticated but not flamboyant. Serious and sensible Robyn whose golden hair now floated around her face, a cloud of soft curls.

Why was Selene dreaming of Robyn?

I frowned at the thought.

Then an extremely bright ray of light filled the room and I had to shield my eyes. Once I'd adjusted to the glare in the room, I glanced at the source and I should not have been surprised when I saw Francis hovering outside the window. His grey wings were more brilliant than usual and his eyes were set on Robyn.

I should've known. My young brother was amusing. I wagered this was how he had always imagined Robyn even though the woman barely glanced in his direction. He'd been infatuated with Robyn since she had moved next door, but she'd never taken him seriously because she only focused on her work. That and the fact that she was ten years older than Francis.

It seemed Francis had found a way to her dreams. If Robyn was too busy awake, he'd show her how it was to have fun asleep.

Good luck, bro.

I was about to turn and leave when I realized that Francis had slipped inside the room and was presently slowly pulling at the translucent sheet. I'd never figured Francis as a pervert. Yes, he was mischievous, but he was not debauched like Markus. Styx, I'd been away too long! Markus had corrupted our young brother.

My shadows swooped in and tugged the sheet to cover Robyn.

"Aren't you a little too young for our neighbor?" I questioned Francis.