The Roommate Equation

All rights reserved. No part of this work may be used or reproduced in any manner without permission except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical articles and reviews. This book is a work of fiction, names, characters, places and incidents are either products of the author's imagination or used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events, locales, or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. No part of this publication can be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, without permission from the author.

Enjoy :)

“Oh my God, can you just keep your hands off each other until the end of the film, people are actually trying to watch!"

My voice echoes off the walls of the cinema, louder than I expected. People turn around and stare at me.

The couple in front of me break apart, and the girl glares at me. I glare back, refusing to back down.

“Look, sweetheart," the girl says, inspecting her nails. “When you grow up, you'll understand what me and this man here are-"

“Fuck off, bitch, I'm 20 years old." I'm furious now. Dr Regardsoe's words echo in my mind- Keep your anger under control. Don't let it overpower you.

Too late for that.

The girl’s eyes glitter. “What did you just call me?" She snarls.

I lean forward, until my nose is practically touching hers. Her hair is platinum blonde and it stinks of strawberries. She looks like she's painted her face orange; her foundation is so thick you could peel it off.

“I called you a bitch." My voice is clear. I'm aware of spectators now, but I can't concentrate. My heart is racing, my skin itching.

The boy starts laughing. The girl whips around to him.

“Babe did you just hear what she called me?" She whines.

I ignore her, turning to the boy. “Can you just get your skank out of here before I do something I'll regret?”

I can't see his face, but I see him nod, and I can see the curve of a smile on his face. He stands up and pulls the girl into his arms, whispering into her ear. Whatever dirty thing he says to her, it works. She lets out a small moan.

I turn away, disgusted.

"Well, sweetheart, we're just gonna go finish what we started,” He whispers.

“I didn't need to know that.”

He smirks. “Wanna join us?”

I gag. “Piss off.”

He chuckles, his laugh sultry, and I force back a shiver. He's hot; I can see the muscles through his t-shirt, but his choice of companionship is disgusting.

“See you around, sweetheart, ” he says, then makes his way to the exit, the slut wrapped around his waist.

Sighing, I try to focus on the movie, but I've missed something important and it doesn't make sense. Kate comes back from the toilet.

“Hey, the annoying couple have gone," she says, slumping into her chair.

“I forced them to leave."

She laughs. “Too bad, he was hot."

“They were pissing me off."

We watch the movie for a few minutes before Kate sighs loudly.

“This sucks, wanna go?" she asks.

“Absolutely," I reply.

We leave the cinema and walk home. It only takes about 5 minutes. Kate and I live in a cluster flat in halls, and it's practically in the centre of Reading. I collapse on the sofa and turn the TV on to an old episode of The Vampire Diaries, while Kate raids the fridge.