Chapter 9 | Myles

Start from the beginning

Clearly, she was concerned. I found it flattering that I had already made a friend that cared so much. But I wasn't ready to tell anyone just yet.

"Please, can you drop it? I don't want to talk about it." I told her.

"Okay, I just really want to help."

What was I supposed to tell her? A senior boy kissed me, then punched me. Would she believe me? If she did would she be disgusted? Am I disgusted? Questioning myself is all I have done in the last twenty-four hours. 

"Thank you, I appreciate it Jemma. I'll tell you about it when I'm ready, okay?" I told her and she nodded in response.

"Oh, actually, there is one thing you could help me out with. If you want?" An idea had just come to me.

"Yeah! What?" She grinned.

"You could tell straight away I was wearing makeup to cover the bruise. Could you help me out with it? I thought I had passably covered it up." Hopefully, she was able to help me out.

"Yeah, sure thing. In all honesty, you didn't do a bad job. I'm a girl, though. We pick up on who's wearing makeup a lot easier than guys can. I was also standing pretty close to you when I saw it." She said.

I suppose what she said made perfect sense. Many guys didn't pick up on just how much makeup someone could be wearing, especially if they knew nothing about makeup.

I was relieved. "Here, I brought this just in case."

I handed her the foundation and brush that I'd placed in my bag to bring with me. In case I needed to touch it up.

"Good thinking!" She took the items out of my hand. "Um, did you maybe want me to do it in a more private area. Just because, it seems like you don't want anyone to catch on."

This girl. Jemma is so thoughtful and sweet.

"Uhh, yeah." I said and a moment later she grabbed my hand to lead me into an empty classroom.

I sat on top of a desk as Jemma stood before me. She grabbed my chin with her hand as the other brushed the powder on my skin.

"Okay, hold still." She said, in which I hummed in response.

Moments later she announced, "I have a little compact mirror in my bad, lemme grab it."

I flipped open the mirror so I could take a look and smiled, satisfied with the result.

Jemma had done a great job covering up the bruise. I didn't get a single question about it. Not even a suspicious look.

It was now lunch break and we were eating the cafeteria's spaghetti. Mycah was right about the food here, it was decent.

I was seated next to Jemma, of course. Across from us, sat Spencer who had Jackson's arm wrapped around her and Arsen sitting to the boy's right. They were all joking about something, but I wasn't interested, not anymore.

My spaghetti had been ruined, I lost my appetite when I saw Cole.

He entered with Dylan, Anthony, Isaac and the twins. The usual crew, except I couldn't see my brother among them.

Would Cole tell Mycah what happened?

Cole made eye contact with me from across the room. I fidgeted under his gaze. The way he had narrowed his eyes in my direction made me nervous. I had been relying on my wishful thinking, that Cole wouldn't even glance my way, but he did.

"Woah! Dude, someone's not a fan." Arsen punched me in the arm.

"Isn't he your brother's friend? Why would he stare at you like that? He wasn't even being discrete about it either." Spencer said.

I was gobsmacked. It seemed my friends quite easily picked up on the stare Cole gave me. It made me wonder if any of Cole's friends had noticed or anyone else currently in the cafeteria. I wanted him to pretend I didn't exist, and I'd gladly do the same.

Jemma sudden stood up, grabbed my arm and yanked me out of the cafeteria.

"I figured it out," She said.

Figured out what?

"You got the bruise from Cole. Although, what I'm struggling to figure out is why he'd wanna hurt you. Go to your brother, he will fix this if Cole is bullying you."

Damn, she's good.

"Look, yes, he did do it. But he's not actually bullying me. You can't tell anyone. He seems like he can be really mean, you could get hurt. And I can't go to my brother, they're friends, I don't want to ruin anything. Besides, I'm pretty sure it was a one-time thing." I told her.

She was entirely unconvinced, however she didn't push the matter anymore. "Okay, okay, don't worry we will figure it out. But why - I must ask - did he do it?"

"I- I don't really know." I partially lied.

———————————————

Damn it, I accidentally deleted this chapter when I was trying to edit the story. How the hell does that even happen? I'm almost going to have ten published chapter soon. I've actually written more. I think I'm currently writing chapter 14.