Chapter 2-Dinner with the Parkinsons

Ding-dong!

"Dobby, answer the door!" Narcissa commanded.

True to his word, Dobby obeyed, even though he didn't have to. Draco sighed in relief. His father looked at him inquiringly.

"I was getting hungry," Draco told him in a whisper and Lucius Malfoy whispered back, "Patience is a virtue."

Dobby entered the room followed by the guest family.

"Dobby presents the Parkinsons."

The three Malfoys rose and waited for the Parkinsons to take their places. Mrs. Parkinson took her place beside Narcissa Malfoy while her daughter, Pansy, stood across from her mother, next to Draco. Mr. Parkinson's seat was on Draco's other side which was across from Lucius Malfoy's seat.

By this time, Dobby had gone to the kitchen and come back with the appetizer.

"The appetizer," he announced, "Caesar salad supreme."

He set the plates in front of the Parkinsons first, followed by the Malfoys, in the order of youngest to oldest in each family.

Draco stuck his fork into one of the garlic croutons that topped the salad and spun it around in the creamy, anchovy-filled dressing before taking his bite.

On his left side, the women and Pansy were discussing the latest fashion trends while on his right side, the men were discussing Quidditch.

Soon, the main dish had been served: baked teriyaki chicken. Draco noticed that his father had dropped his voice to a lower volume, and so had Mr. Parkinson.

Draco pretended to be absorbed in his food while he listened to the men converse about something they would not have wanted someone Draco's age to know.

"What is the plan for this year?" Mr. Parkinson asked.

"Last year, the Lord proposed that should Quirrell not be able to find the stone, I should give his old diary to an innocent young girl."

"The Dark Lord is always prepared for the worst. But why does he have a diary?"

"It appeared to be empty at first. But I dropped a bit of ink on a page, and the next moment, the ink had vanished. So I wrote, 'I am Lucius Malfoy.' The reply was, 'Hello, Lucius, my dear friend. I am Tom Marvolo Riddle.'"

Mr. Parkinson's eyes grew wide. "So he had preserved himself in a book?"

"It seems so. I then wrote, 'I am a follower now. My task is to give this book to an innocent girl.' He replied, 'Good. Make sure that this goes to a pureblood who is somewhat close to Harry Potter.'"

Draco froze mid-bite. He regained composure quickly and proceeded to eat again.

Mr. Parkinson asked Lucius, "What do you propose the purpose of this is?"

"I asked him the same question myself and he wrote that we would all see soon enough."

"What could he mean by that?"

"I do not know. I decided to close the book and hide it."

The conversation ended just in time for a desert of black magic cake.

How ironic, Draco thought. Black magic.

Mrs. Parkinson asked Narcissa, "When do you suppose the Hogwarts letters will arrive?"

"Tomorrow, or perhaps in the next few days."

"Pansy's so excited to return to school, aren't you?"