Chapter 5

"Again!" I yelled.

FRIDAY obeyed my command and started up the target practice program yet again. I had run through the program so many times, I had lost count. I didn't need to go again. I had hit all the targets perfectly at least the last 25 times, but sometimes it just felt really good to smash things.

The ceramic plates, meant for shooting practice, were just about the only non-digital form of practice on the grounds of the Avenger's facility. All of the other practice stations were electronic and didn't fulfil my current need for physical destruction.

I launched a blue orb at the first ceramic disc, and it shattered in the air with a satisfying crash. I vaguely heard the sound of the pieces hitting the ground as I hit the next target.

"FRIDAY, launch them two at a time." I said, launching another orb.

"Yes, Emelia." FRIDAY's voice responded as two ceramic plates came flying from different angles.

I hit one and then the other, the increase in targets not really phasing me. The stress of the last few months had finally culminated into me needing to punch a hole in a wall. This was the next best thing.

I let out a frustrated groan, and launched an orb that was a little more powerful than I meant it to be. Instead of shattering on impact, and the pieces falling to the ground to shatter further, the disc evaporated in a fiery blue spectacle.

The program stopped suddenly. No more discs were flying through the air.

"FRIDAY, I wasn't ready to stop." I practically growled.

I immediately felt regret at snapping, hoping that FRIDAY didn't hold grudges.

"Miss Emelia, there are no more discs to fire. I've already ordered more, but they will not be here until tomorrow." FRIDAY replied.

I groaned again, before walking towards the door. I pushed the double doors open with blue energy before reaching them. The left door wobbled slightly, threatening to be knocked off its hinges. Property damage was not really high on my list of priorities right now, though, so I continued through the door without a second thought.

I stormed down the hall, feeling not completely in control of my actions. My anger was taking over. I wasn't thinking clearly, and I needed to get out of here before I did something I regretted.

I threw myself through a storm of blue light, looking for the most remote place I could find on such short notice. I came out of the light somewhere in northern Russia, on a mountaintop. I turned around once, hastily taking in my surroundings. There were mountains all around me, spanning for miles and miles, only broken by deep valleys in between.

I paced back and forth for a few moments, muttering incoherent phrases to myself. I needed to be stronger. I needed to protect Pietro and Thor on Asgard, or wherever our quest for the infinity stones eventually takes us. But how can I be strong if I'm vulnerable to some faceless force in the form of a gold light and a menacing voice.

I had spent the entire night last night scanning our planet and beyond for the gold light, but no matter what I did, I couldn't find it. I had spent the morning trying to induce another vision, hoping for more clues, but no matter what I did, nothing came. I needed clues, but I had absolutely nothing to go off of.

If I couldn't get this under control, I was putting everyone at risk. I couldn't help the team if something goes wrong. I can't keep an eye on Bucky, just in case he needs something. I can't step in and save the world from some unpredictable force wielding power beyond the infinity stone in my chest.