xli. a night to remember

Start from the beginning

Asher stayed unbothered as he watched a basketball game. "She's alright."

"Alright?" I crossed my arms. "Mom and Dad is out here flooding me with compliments and you're just..."

"What do you want me to do?" he cried in complaint. "Bow down and treat you like a queen?"

"Yes," I said, sticking my tongue out.

"Best believe I won't," he replied smugly. This ass.

I swear my friends at school were better brothers than him.

"So, who asked you out?" Mom asked as she tried to fix my hair a bit. "Is it Stephen? Because I'd like to see you two back—"

"No, mom." I rolled my eyes. Don't remind me. I was bitter as fúck that he didn't ask me out. I mean, we had some good memories together. "Never going back."

She pouted. Gosh, she should be in a relationship with him. She's riding him so hard.

"So, who's the lucky man tonight?" she asked in curiosity.

I simply just shrugged. "No one, because I'm going Beyonce without a Jay Z."

"Guys must have been too intimidated to ask you out," dad told me. "Either that, or Stephen told the guys to back off."

Stephen. They just always had to mention Stephen. It's sickening.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and they all turned to me.

"Who's that?" mom asked. "I thought you don't have a date."

I grabbed my purse from the couch and pushed my hair back. "It's just my sons, mom. They wanted to see me on prom night and they offered to give me a ride. Wait, I'll just drink some water before I go. Let them in."

"Your sons?" Dad asked in confusion while I left to head to the kitchen area. I immediately took a glass and poured some water on it.

I heard my Mom open the door revealing an enthusiastic Devin, D'Angelo, and Ben who were all wearing casual clothes.

"HI, MRS. AUSTIN!"

Go crazy.

"It's you guys!" Mom laughed, embracing the three as I could see from the kitchen.

They all saw my dad and greeted him.

"Sup, dad," D'Angelo joked.

My dad guffawed. "Silly man."

"Hey, guys," Asher spoke, desperate for their attention and I had to snort as I placed the glass on the sink.

When I sauntered towards the living room, I could very well hear the irritating clack of my high heels and their eyes drifted towards me.

"Hi, guys. I'm ready," I said, smiling.

And it was like there was no oxygen to breathe in the house. Ben had wide eyes, Devin had to swallow hard, and then D'Angelo held his heart and pretended to collapse backwards. The two boys caught him and started fanning him.