Seven: The Honey's Inheritance

Start from the beginning

Amy's eyes widened. "What? That wouldn't happen!"

"It may not but that it what will be spread around should you leave."

Amy stared cluelessly for a few mere seconds before narrowing her eyes. "You would blackmail me?"

"In a heartbeat." The woman smiled in satisfaction as she turned and made her way up the stairs.

When she had gone, Isrelda turned to the girl, a dumbfounded expression on her face. "That witch.." She whispered, looking next like she would very much physically explode at any given moment.

Amy stifled a laugh, though it wasn't out of amusement. "Interesting. I should've seen this coming." She slumped. "I would have stayed if she had simply mentioned not being able to have my inheritance. But being blackmailed?" She shook her head and walked towards her office, shutting the door behind her before Isrelda could even follow.

--

That evening, Sonic had returned to the shop and they soon found themselves out on the very same hill that overlooked all those beautiful fields of wild, untamed flowers. A picnic basket sat between them as they nibbled on the modest little sandwiches that Amy had prepared, and she explained to him everything that Ginevra had told her as she doodled in her notebook between bites.

"That wench!" Was Sonic's only reply, and although it sounded like a mix of surprise and playfulness, she could physically feel the anger that emanated from the blue hedgehog.

"But your mother, the queen.. she was so sweet.." Amy sighed lightly. "I would love to work for her, anyway."

"Money is money. Your inheritance could be made up for in a matter of months, working under my mother. She'll pay you good."

Amy shook her head. "No.. you don't understand. My inheritance isn't money." Her emerald gaze raised to the angry orange and red sky above them. "It's the house. The house itself and everything in it. It means the world and beyond to me. It's where I grew up at. It's where I spent time with my parents before they died. It holds all my memories and it's the only thing I've ever known."

Sonic lowered the sandwich he had been nibbling on. "So that's why you've stayed as long as you have?"

She nodded. "I can't leave any of it behind."

"And.." His voice fell into a hint of somber. "She pays you for your work?"

She nodded once more. "She pays very little, but just enough to keep things legal."

He folded his hands behind his head and groaned. "Man.. there's nothing I can do for you.. lawfully, anyway."

"Thank you for caring enough to do something if you could." She offered him a weak smile, which he grinned to. He then leaned forward and stole a peek at her drawing, watching the careful, sweeping motion of her right hand as it conjured the sketch of a seemingly elaborate gown. He let out an impressed whistle.

"You're drawing that like a real pro, Ames. It's a shame you have to work under that woman and not get much recognition from your work."

"Thank you," She replied softly.

"You know.. my mother told me this morning to tell you when I saw you again that she would like for you to work for her even if you don't live at the castle."

"Well," She couldn't help but let her inner smile shine through. "As much as I'd love to, it's not like I can be over there every day, all day. But please relay to her for me that anytime she wants me to make her something, I gladly will. It'd just be nice if she kept it on the down-low, you know?" She brought her finger up to her lip in a shushing gesture. "Don't want Ginevra finding out."