TEN: alliance

thanks to lostxxmemories for the cover shown above - it fits the book so well! 

since i started awake during nano in july, i've gotta finish it this time ;) we'll see how it goes - expect updates every three days!

I was early to his office this time.

Isobel's words had been more than just meaningless chatter. He wanted me here at ten a.m., and by this stage, I'd learnt I was in no position to object. Especially not when the terrors of yesterday - the knowledge of what he was capable of - was still so fresh in my memory.

Overnight, a portion of my fear had transfigured to anger. He'd brought them into this, and though I didn't quite know by what means, I was sure they were in serious danger. There was a good chance that a horrific fate awaited us all, and I needed to do something. I couldn't just wait around for him to strengthen his control over me.

I couldn't wait around for them to die.

I didn't bother knocking on his door this time, or acknowledging the debilitating fear swirling within me, begging me to fall prey to its terror. It would be so easy to run. But instead, I twisted the handle and pushed it open without hesitation.

He wasn't waiting.

The office was empty, save for the ticking of the clock on the wall an empty coffee cup sitting on the edge of the bare desk top. I looked around warily, noticing nothing out of the ordinary. It looked as it had the first time I had entered it days ago. The wall of books was intact, and not a drop of blood was left upon the carpet. There was a blackboard hanging behind the seat Blackwood usually occupied, and now that I had the opportunity to observe the room, I noticed a small tally written in white chalk in the corner.

I paced forward to look at it, to see how many strikes were etched into the canvas. Seven.

I wrapped my arms around themselves. It seemed colder in the room than it had outside, which was saying something considering the air had been threatening snow.

Though my sleep had still been tainted with the crippling stress of knowing that my best friends, who were sleeping peacefully on the other side of the paper thin walls, were puppets to someone dangerous, it had still been more restful than the previous nights. It left me with a new hope, or at least the realisation that I couldn't cower away. It wasn't just my life at stake here.

A shiver passed down my spine, and suddenly my senses were overcome with the feeling that someone was watching me. It was paranoia, I was sure. Making the most of the vacant room, I walked over to the desk, moving behind it so I could see the screen of his computer and test the drawers. They were locked, unsurprisingly. If only I could know the secrets he was hiding, the key that would prove this was all some messed up nightmare...

The door opened with a creek. He was unsuspecting, his expression hinting surprised as his eyes flitted up to meet mine. "Aspen. You're early."

I dug my fingers into my elbows, channelling my fear into a physical outlet rather than showing it in my expression. I didn't say a word.